As part of your Team Access Portal setup, you can link a subdomain of your primary domain name to the OwnerRez servers and from then on the Team Access will "live" at your domain and Portal Users will log in to your branded domain rather than using the main OwnerRez URL. This is sometimes known as a "white-label" Client Portal.
We'll also generate an HTTPS-secured certificate and apply it for you (at no additional charge, but it does require a credit card on file for verification). This may take a few hours, or even overnight, after you follow the steps below to configure the DNS records with your domain registrar.
- Pitfalls and Gotchas
To configure a branded portal in the Team Access Area, you'll need to complete the following steps:
1. Domain name
- If you don't have a domain or account anywhere yet, we recommend Namecheap.
- If you already have a domain, you can add a subdomain as detailed below.
2. Navigate to your Team Access account by clicking on the drop-down arrow of your account (upper right-hand corner on your OwnerRez dashboard) and clicking on Team Access.
3. In the Portal Team Access tab, Click on the Create Branding button.
4. On the next page, you can configure your Portal Branding.
- Add your Site Title.
- Add your Favicon and Logo.
- Enter the Subdomain of your Portal Site Title. For example if your domain/main site is
fancybeachrental.com, you might use
5. Click whether your Portal Access will be Active by clicking in the Active checkbox and click Save.
6. Your Branded Portal will now appear as shown below in the Portal Tab.
And your branded Team Access log in page will look similar to this.
7. Add a CNAME to your DNS servers to point to portal.ownerrez.com
This step is the trickiest. The easiest thing to do is to contact support at your registrar, the place where you purchased your domain, and ask them to turn off any domain parking/forwarding and make the following change for you (substitute the
portal name in red with whatever subdomain you choose, but leave it pointing to portal.ownerrez.com regardless of the subdomain name.
portalpointing to portal.ownerrez.com
The www and A records for your main site don't need to be changed -- you only need to add the new CNAME for portal.
8. Come back to the Portal Team Access area in OwnerRez and use the Check DNS button to make sure that the DNS settings are configured correctly.
9. Once you have configured your Branded Portal and set the DNS settings correctly, OwnerRez will automatically generate an HTTPS certificate. This process may take a couple of hours. Once complete, the status will change to a green Online as shown above.
Do I need to configure Nameservers? No, you do NOT need to point nameservers at the IP addresses above. That is a separate configuration. You should make the updates to the DNS on your current nameserver, usually the one provided by your registrar.
If you have a custom nameserver set at your registrar, like Wix and other sites use, you can either add the records to their nameserver or if you're not using that anymore, switch back to your registrar's nameservers.
If you're confused about this, contact support at your registrar -- they'll be able to help you get your nameserver configuration correct and apply the DNS settings noted above. You can link their support agents to this web page - they will know what it means and how to resolve it.
Once the configurations are in place, you can double-check that everything is correct using the Dig tool.
If you run into any issues setting up the branded portal, contact us and we'll help you get it all set up and configured properly. This will almost certainly involve your domain registrar, though, so you may get quicker results by going straight to them.