Connecting a Stripe account takes a few separate steps -- first you must allow direct card processing on your Stripe account, then link OwnerRez to your Stripe account, and finally create a Live Secret Key in Stripe and paste it in to the OwnerRez configuration. This guide will walk you through step by step.
- Setup & Connecting Stripe
- Stripe Processing Modes
- Common Questions
Here are the details:
- Go to Settings > Payment Methods in OwnerRez and click to connect your Stripe account
- The connection process will take you to Stripe to authorize OwnerRez to access your account. There may be several login and confirmation steps and then you'll finally get to a connection screen. Accept the connection and you'll be sent back to OwnerRez to complete setup.
- Make sure that the accept card types are configured correctly, currency and statement text are correct, and the account is configured to be used on the correct properties.
Then save the account.
Tokenized cards allow you to use Stripe Radar and accept European cards with 3DS2 challenges, but once entered and saved, a card can never be used with a different processor, even a different Stripe account.
Direct processing uses raw card numbers rather than Stripe tokens. This allows you to switch to a different card processor, but doesn't support 3D Secure / two factor authentication without requesting all new cards from guests.
We recommend Tokenized mode in most cases. If most of your clients are European, you should definitely use Tokenized mode, as any two factor challenges won't work without it. If you're in an area that doesn't yet require 3D Secure 2, such as the US, and you may be switching card processors soon, you may use Direct mode.
The way Stripe works, there's no separate transaction for keeping funds from a security deposit hold. The original transaction that reserves the security deposit hold is actually an authorization-only Charge.
If you end up charging against the hold, what you get in your Stripe transaction history is:
- A charge for the full security deposit hold amount
- "Partially refunded" of the amount you didn't keep
This happens even though the full amount wasn't actually charged in the first place, just authorized.
No. The chargeback protection requires you to use Stripe's Checkout feature, which makes it work similarly to PayPal - the guest is sent away from your and OwnerRez' sites over to a Stripe site to pay. This mode is not supported by OwnerRez, because it does not allow for detailed communication and logging of transaction events (e.g. why a card was rejected, and what the card information was), or advanced functions like security deposit holds.