OwnerRez has partnered with HomeAway to provide an integrated API connection between the two systems. This allows OwnerRez users to more easily handle their listings and bookings with HomeAway brands, including HomeAway, VRBO, and CanadaStays.
- The HomeAway API fully supports listings on HomeAway and VRBO. It also supports calendar and booking syncing with CanadaStays, but not the ability to update listing information and rates. The separate CanadaStays API is more suitable for this purpose.
- Upon request, the HomeAway integration specialists can configure your connection to use the payment processor you have set up in OwnerRez, instead of letting HomeAway handle the payment processing which is the default (using Yapstone). In this case, the guest's credit card shows charges from you, and a separate charge from HomeAway for their booking fee.
- Due to the contractual agreement between OwnerRez and HomeAway, we are not permitted to publicly post detailed instructions for configuring the API integration. These instructions may be obtained by any interested OwnerRez users by contacting us.
- Note that, for bookings recorded in OwnerRez via the HomeAway API, OwnerRez is the source of truth. HomeAway sometimes can erroneously show bookings as still pending - this is incorrect and can be ignored.
- HomeAway permits usage of the API connection only for owners with at least 5 properties listed. If you do not have that many, the API connection will not be approved. You must use Channel Bridge and Calendar Sync instead.
- A HomeAway API connection must use the credit card payment processor you have set up in OwnerRez for each property - each property can have a different credit card payment processor, but each property must be configured with one. HomeAway will no longer handle your payment processing (using Yapstone). You become fully responsible for collecting and remitting all taxes payable. OwnerRez can be configured to calculate and collect the taxes due for each booking, but you must make your own arrangements with the appropriate tax jurisdictions and authorities for remitting the taxes to them in accordance with applicable laws.
- Once the HomeAway API has been activated for a property, all future bookings will be handled using the API. However, any pre-existing bookings which were placed prior to activation of the API will not be handled by the API. You must continue to sync them using Channel Bridge and Calendar Sync until the last one has come and gone. At that point, the API will be the only connection you need thereafter.
- When using the API connection, it is not possible to send guests a quote. They can make an inquiry, and you can communicate with them via email or using HomeAway's control panel. However, these messages have all identifying characteristics such as URLs stripped out, so there is no way guests can receive or accept a special quote. You can, however, agree with the guest via email on a particular price - just tell them to make a booking at whatever price is displayed to them, and then you can update the charges on the booking afterwards.
- The HomeAway mobile app offers the ability to reply to inquiries and provide a customized quote, even if you are using their API. Don't use this! It looks like it works... and it seems like it works, because the guest actually receives the quote and can accept it. But then - nothing. You don't get informed of the booking via the API, it just ghosts - the worst possible outcome for a guest. Don't fall for this apparently useful, but actually worse than useless, feature of the mobile app!
What actually happens to these bookings is, they're handled via the old pre-API system. So if you still have your iCal calendar feeds connected, perhaps because of pre-existing bookings placed prior to activation of the API, this booking will appear in OwnerRez, and can be populated with data by Channel Bridge. As with any other pre-API booking, HomeAway will handle all payments.
- Some Premier Partners, unlike normal accountholders, receive real guest contact info on inquiries. When they are connected to an API, that function is turned off. That seems like a bug, and it is - but not the bug you think. As of February 2019, no premier partners were supposed to have access to contact info pre-bookings. The API has nothing to do with it. But it seems that some still do, VRBO just hasn't noticed. When you connect the API, VRBO staff check all your settings, and remove the access that shouldn't be there. :-(