My Homeaway listing has been merged onto VRBO since they did away with the Homeaway brand and now I'm unable to push my rates to VRBO. I set up the VRBO channel with the new VRBO listing number (the same as before, just with 'ha' appended), but I get the following error each time I try to push rates in the OR Channel Bridge:
" Error processing data. Try again or contact support. Details: No matching HomeAway/VRBO property could be found in this account for listing # 4039400ha. Make sure you are logged into the right HomeAway/VRBO account."
Anyone else? How'd you fix it?
Yep, Vrbo is changing a lot of things under the covers as they continue to merge brands together.
One thing to try... what if you use the Vrbo mapping in OwnerRez, but put in the number without the "ha" suffix. Does that still give the same error?
I tried that first and OR just returned an error saying it couldn't find a property with that ID in my VRBO account.
I'll try again when I'm back at my computer, but I'm guessing it'll be the same result.
If you are using channel bridge and not API to push rates, you need to 1) be on "new rates editor on both Vrbo and OR 2) be on chrome browser with extension installed (not safari chrome, native chrome) 3). be logged into vrbo acct on same computer
When did this change? It worked up until maybe a month ago and I don't recall being prompted to change anything on HA/VRBO, but I did switch to the new rates system on OR.
I don't really do much business on VRBO so I didn't worry too much about it, but I've changed my rates a bunch since then, so it's time to get them to match current rates in the off chance someone finds me on VRBO and tries to book.
I'm not sure what you mean by Safari Chrome...Safari and Chrome are two different browsers. I currently use Google Chrome on a Mac with the OR Channel Bridge extension (and yes, I was signed into VRBO, as OR's website directed me to on the Channel Bridge page).
I tried again earlier today - same error.
We've released a new version with some better calibration for the listing numbers. Make sure you've got version 10.37: https://www.ownerreservations.com/support/articles/channel-bridge-updating-to-latest-version
And give it another whirl.
If that doesn't work, send in a support ticket and we'll schedule a screenshare to debug.
RE safari chrome, that's referring to the fact that on iOS devices Chrome is really actually just Safari under the covers as Apple don't allow any other browsers on their platform. Sounds like that's not the issue in your case, though, you're probably on desktop or laptop since you can channel bridge and it used to work.
Thank you. It works now with 10.37. I did need to remove the 'ha' from the end of the property ID for it to work.