This was posted on HA forum. Looks like issue on Vrbo side though.
Ahh, good looking out! Yep, sometimes things go wonky on the VRBO side and unfortunately we don't have control on that channel to force updates like we do on others.
Looks like it's been resolved now.
NOPE! Not resolved. One of our properties is blocked -HA send to their software team (again)! On another note - still waiting for a reply on my previous emails to OR help/support.
Hey there! We've replied several times to your questions over the past 24 hours, have you not gotten any emails on your end? Can you check your email to see if they're being spammed or filed away somewhere else?