Experience the difference of "Elite".

Facebook Tracking Pixel added, Google Analytics eCommerce tracking added

• Posted on
  • By

With the rise of walled garden listing sites that block you from guests, more owners are doing direct advertising through other means, such as Facebook Ads, Google Adwords, and ads on other channels like Craigslist etc.

With ads driving traffic from various locations, you need to be able to track what ads are leading to sales. The best way to do this is using analytics tools like Google Analytics or Facebook's Tracking Pixel.

When you configure either of these in your OwnerRez account, we'll send them information every time a guest interacts with your website (if you're using our hosted websites), widgets on your own site, or the quote checkout process.

With the Facebook Tracking Pixel, you can drive ads that are targeted directly to your audience. You can also target ads to people at certain stages in the buying process. For example take people that have gone on your website and submitted an inquiry but not yet booked. Facebook allows you to target an ad campaign directly to those guests.

We've had Google Analytics for awhile, but we were just tracking pageviews. Now we've added eCommerce to that so you can track booking value and see what sources sent what bookings:

To set up analytics tracking, go to the Analytics Tracking section in your profile. We've also prepared a support doc on setting up analytics tracking.

24 Comments (add yours)

BlueMtnCabins
Mar 31, 2017 3:44 PM
Joined Jun, 2016 1119 posts

Great, thanks. i already have GA, will try pixel

BlueMtnCabins
Mar 31, 2017 6:53 PM

How do you add pixel if you have more than one facebook page? Like I have separate facebook page for each property?

Chris Hynes
Mar 31, 2017 7:01 PM
OR Team Member Joined Oct, 2012 1400 posts

I believe you can create one pixel that is for all of your FB pages. Are you seeing an indication somewhere that each FB page has its own pixel?

BlueMtnCabins
Mar 31, 2017 9:42 PM

Honestly I am not sure,. Every time I look at FB ad manager, the interface changes, so I am thoroughly confused! Maybe it is one....

BlueMtnCabins
Apr 3, 2017 9:27 AM

I have enabled ecommerce in GA for the tracking ID I have assigned to OR, but still see no events listed under ecommerce? GA has 3 default GA categories with 0 in all of them. Or I should wait longer for GA to accumulate data?

BlueMtnCabins
Apr 4, 2017 7:19 AM

BlueMtnCabins said:

I have enabled ecommerce in GA for the tracking ID I have assigned to OR, but still see no events listed under ecommerce? GA has 3 default GA categories with 0 in all of them. Or I should wait longer for GA to accumulate data?

I cannot see the below in my GA:

Widget -> BookingStarted event on "book now" button click in book now widget (with event value of quote total)
Widget -> InquirySent event on "send inquiry" button click in book now widget (with event value of quote total)
Quote -> BookingStarted event on view of the initial quote checkout page (with event value of quote total)
Booking -> Booked event on booking complete (with event value of booking total)
Ecommerce transaction on booking complete

Chris Hynes
Apr 4, 2017 9:16 AM

Usually it will take a day or two for the items to accumulate once you turn it on. Are there events from a couple days after you've turned it on that are a couple days ago?

BlueMtnCabins
Apr 4, 2017 9:23 AM

Chris Hynes said:

Usually it will take a day or two for the items to accumulate once you turn it on. Are there events from a couple days after you've turned it on that are a couple days ago?

It has been 48 hours since I turned on an all I see is GA default categories:

Under GA Conversions -> eCommerce -> Overview ->
Top Revenue Sources

Product

Product SKU

Product Category
Source/medium

Am I looking in a wrong place?

Chris Hynes
Apr 4, 2017 9:28 AM

That's the right place, but have you had bookings since you turned it on? The last booking I see in your account was 3/26.

GA only captures events going forward, so you'd need a new booking to come in to trigger it.

BlueMtnCabins
Apr 4, 2017 9:38 AM

Oh, i see. no I have not had a booking yet, I thought the quote will trigger it (when person does quote on the website via widget), I guess i will wait till after a booking! Thanks

BlueMtnCabins
Apr 13, 2017 10:54 AM

I have had bookings 4/5, 4/8, 4/11. Still see nothing under GA> Ecommerce> overview. Only see 3 default GA categories :(

Chris Hynes
Apr 13, 2017 11:04 AM

Are you seeing page views or events under Behavior? Or no data at all from OwnerRez?

It looks like the tracking setup is working and I've checked it on a couple other sites and the ecommerce is tracking.

Can you double check the google tracking id you have (with the -5 suffix) is the correct one for the site you've enabled ecommerce on? Sometimes you can have multiple different sites set up in GA and you've got to drill into the right one to see the data.

BlueMtnCabins
Apr 13, 2017 1:21 PM

It is correct because I see when someone accesses quote widget in "real time". I also see bunch of 'widget" links entries under behavior>overview

But nothing but standard GA entries under Conversions> Ecommerce> overview

Chris Hynes
Apr 14, 2017 12:39 PM

We tracked down an issue where the new FB tracking pixel code was conflicting with the GA eCommerce code for certain total booking amounts. This should now be solved, and I retriggered those bookings to be recorded in GA eCommerce.

Let me know if you see the values once you get another booking.

BlueMtnCabins
Apr 15, 2017 10:44 AM

It appeared but looks kind of funny; here is athe list of "products".
Product Quantity % Quantity
Refundable Security/Damage Deposit (non taxable) based on $300.00 per stay
3 33.33%
Cleaning Fee based on $150.00 per stay
2 22.22%
2 nights (11/17, 11/18) during Holiday at $389.00 per Night
1 11.11%
4 nights (7/14 - 7/17, departing 7/18) during Summer peak at $219.00 per Night
1 11.11%
6 nights (11/20 - 11/25, departing 11/26) during Thanksgiving at $389.00 per Night
1 11.11%
Cleaning Fee based on $115.00 per stay

Chris Hynes
Apr 15, 2017 7:49 PM

Is that the overall products or in one transaction? The way its set up now, each charge in the charges list is a separate "product".

BlueMtnCabins
Apr 15, 2017 8:14 PM

overall products. Transactions look fine. It looks like every date range is a "product", so is cleaning fee, deposit and tax.

Chris Hynes
Apr 16, 2017 9:22 PM

Hmm. How would you categorize it instead? Perhaps there should be one "Rent" product with the property name vs. including the dates? But I'd assume you want cleaning fee et. al. to break out as well? Or would you only want the Rent as a product?

BlueMtnCabins
Apr 16, 2017 9:37 PM

Yes, products like:
Rent
Tax
Cleaning fee

Without dates, else we'll have different rent "product" for each set of dates booked.

Even better if it is:
<Property> rent
<property> tax
<property> cleaning fee

But if not that is great too because I can see the "transaction" for each booking that I can relate to a property.
TIA

BlueMtnCabins
Apr 18, 2017 3:03 PM

Silly question, but where can I view Pixel results? I can see GA conversions in GA, but where can I see the pixel conversions? is in in FB settings someplace? TIA