Experience the difference of "Elite".

Trigger an SMS message from an important email message sent to a booked guest

Mitchell C
May 6, 2021 1:07 PM
Joined Jan, 2019 18 posts

I occasionally need to send a last-minute message to a guest that I don't want them to miss in their email inbox. For example, I have an email template that notifies the guest if access to the property is required the next day. When I send out this important message, I would like to trigger an SMS message telling the guest to check their inbox or spam folder for an important email about their stay.

Ken T
May 6, 2021 7:03 PM
OR Team Member Joined Aug, 2019 1472 posts

I don't think this requires a special function - you can already accomplish this effect. Just set up the SMS template, and another trigger to fire it, that uses the same parameters as the trigger that fires your email message. Both will be sent at around the same time, which is what you're looking for.

Mitchell C
May 6, 2021 7:20 PM

The email message that I'm sending is based on a template but is sent manually without being triggered. It would be nice if I didn't have to send the SMS message as well manually.

Ken T
May 6, 2021 10:28 PM
OR Team Member Joined Aug, 2019 1472 posts

Hmm, that seems like a pretty rare corner case. But fair enough - I'll reopen the request so we can see if others vote for it.

Mitchell C
May 7, 2021 6:22 AM

Ken T said:

I don't think this requires a special function - you can already accomplish this effect. Just set up the SMS template, and another trigger to fire it, that uses the same parameters as the trigger that fires your email message. Both will be sent at around the same time, which is what you're looking for.

There may be a problem in doing this. I don't want the SMS trigger to fire if the Email trigger has not already fired. For example, I send a checkout notice reminder at 9 am. The last time my email trigger fired was at 9:17 am. IOW, I wouldn't want to tell the guest to check their email inbox if the email hasn't already been sent. The SMS message would need to be triggered off an email sent event.

Chris Hynes
May 7, 2021 6:46 PM
OR Team Member Joined Oct, 2012 1400 posts

There is not currently a way to make one trigger dependent on another. However, each user's triggers are batched and sent together at the same time. If you have an Email trigger and an SMS trigger with the same criteria, then they would fire within a few seconds of eachother.

If you want to make certain that the triggers are fired in order, the only way to do that would be to set the Email trigger for 9am and the SMS trigger for 10am.