Experience the difference of "Elite".

QB Integration: Tax issues

Dori123
Apr 1, 2021 2:46 PM
Joined Sep, 2020 85 posts

Currently, the tax lines are coming into QB as a line item on the invoice.

Taxes should be coming through to the Tax line item on the invoice so that the tax reporting is correct.

Currently, I have multiple invoices with tax line items from OR, but when I run the tax reports in QB, they show $0 collected in taxes, because the amounts are not showing up in the tax field.

Please direct the taxes in OR to flow through to the Tax field in QB so that they can be reported on from QB.

Thanks!!

Paul W
Apr 5, 2021 10:12 AM
OR Team Member Joined Jun, 2009 825 posts

Hi Dori,

Thanks for the suggestion!

You may already know this, but we have a blurb written in our QuickBooks FAQ doc here about this issue:

https://www.ownerrez.com/support/articles/quickbooks-common-issues-questions#taxes

Basically, we don't support the built-in tax wizard that QuickBooks uses because it creates complications. Instead we recommend using Product or Service Items in QB to map to a Taxes liability account. Then map your OR taxes to those Product or Service Items instead.

But we will leave this here as a feature request to see if we can get the built-in tax wizard supported in the future.

Dori123
Apr 12, 2021 11:29 AM
Joined Sep, 2020 85 posts

Thanks for the response.
I may have to de-activate my QB / OR integration. I think it has a lot of potential, but I find since the integration I've had to add things to my routine in order to keep QB correct. Getting the taxes and refunds / cancellations correct in QB are particularly time-consuming given the way OR integrates those. I am eager to see where it is in a few months though.
Thanks

Maine Cottage Ke
Feb 12, 2022 4:36 PM
Joined Dec, 2020 13 posts

If you add a product to the item catalog they maps to the right tax category in Quickbooks, you can still use their native tax reporting. You just need to map it to the right GL category for Sales/Lodging Tax

Ocean Zen
Feb 25, 2023 12:54 AM
Joined Jun, 2022 70 posts

Hi Dori,

I have read all of the Quickbooks related posts (I think) and want to thank you for all your involvement in the topic.  I do think that your suggestion of handling taxes with the tax lines in QB online is not the best practices approach and I am happy to explain (on a call) what best practices are and why -- not to say you can't do it the way you are doing it but we all need to come together as a community and give unified feedback to OR. As a result,

I am trying to create urgency with addressing Quickbooks Integration / Accounting issues in OR by having all key stakeholders join together to create a louder voice. To do so I have tried to summarize all the open issues in this theme and have created one master feature request that I am asking everyone that would like to see this addressed cast a vote for so we concentrate our voting and allow OR to see the magnitude of the need. I do have some ideas for a rapid resolution but at this time want to focus on identifying and prioritizing the issues/problems and have OR engage in prioritizing this fix.

The comprehensive thread is that this Feature request (full link below). If you feel this is a need PLEASE VOTE. If you have any additions, corrections, or comments please reply and I will try to keep the top post updated.

https://www.ownerrez.com/forums/go/70573

Thank you for your support and lets get a roadmap for this once and for all!!

Manel