Experience the difference of "Elite".

House Rules as a field for Rental Agreements (& Emails)

Alece
Mar 1, 2021 6:25 PM
Joined Jan, 2020 160 posts

We feel it's important to reiterate the house rules in the rental agreement. As there isn't currently a way (that we've found!) to automatically include them, we've had to create a custom field with the house rules for each property to include them that way. However that means that any time we make changes to our rules, we need to update it in not just the house rules section of OR but also in our custom field. It would be so ideal if there was a built-in field for the house rules which we could utilize in email messages, rental agreements, etc. when needed.

UstlcRentals
Oct 17, 2022 9:49 AM
Joined Oct, 2021 54 posts

Such a great idea! One of my properties is a houseboat with special requirements, like flip a switch on when you shower to drain water from boat or its a step 50 stair climb that Guests must be able to walk. I emphasize this stuff several times in listing and in house rules but so many guests argue they never saw anything about it any of it. With the rules on the agreement they sign, I feel it would give more support for me on my end of the situation and HOPEFULLY give them one more opportunity to see it. 

I know it's a different reason than what you mentioned... but i guess it just goes to show there are multiple benefits to it! 

:)

Patricia Knight
Oct 19, 2022 8:55 PM
Joined Jan, 2020 20 posts

We feel it's important to reiterate the house rules in the rental agreement. As there isn't currently a way (that we've found!) to automatically include them, we've had to create a custom field with the house rules for each property to include them that way. However that means that any time we make changes to our rules, we need to update it in not just the house rules section of OR but also in our custom field. It would be so ideal if there was a built-in field for the house rules which we could utilize in email messages, rental agreements, etc. when needed.

by Alece – Mar 1, 2021 11:25 PM (UTC)

It is possible to do this already. I utilized the "Custom Fields" under Settings > Custom Field Definitions. 
I created a custom field specifically for House Rules.  Now when I create emails or the Rental Agreement, I just use the "Insert Field Code" icon in the templates editor to bring in that information. When the Insert a Field dialog box opens, you will find the Custom Fields under the property tab at the bottom. 

I have opted the Custom Fields to manage each properties House Rules because I was not limited to how many rules I can enter. I use bullet points for each rule.

Alece
Oct 20, 2022 11:23 AM
Joined Jan, 2020 160 posts

That's the workaround I'm using as well, as I mentioned. However, as the house rules live other places (so that they display in the listing, etc.), any time the house rules need to be updated, changes need to be made in multiple locations per property. Having a more streamlined, consolidated manner of dealing with these would be very helpful. Even having the custom field work in the listing content would make a big difference!