Experience the difference of "Elite".

Door Lock Codes - Phone Number

PacViewLodging
Jan 28, 2021 7:56 PM
Joined Sep, 2019 74 posts

We have been using electronic door locks for many years on our rental properties. We have utilized a number of different providers both automated and manual. Our most recent experience is the utilization of an OR partner where door lock integration creates a random 4 digit code that is utilized as the guest access code for the property. We had gone down this road a number of years ago but since it was our only option we decided to give it a try again. Our results this time were similar to our previous attempt. Basically we find that while yes you are automated and you communicate information to the guests they do not seem to keep that information readily accessible or the devices that are used for the communication are no longer available (locked in the property, no cell signal, etc) and they are unable to retrieve the information needed to access the property and they don't "remember" what the code should be. The end result is they need to reach out to us, usually via phone, to figure out how to gain / regain access to the property.

To solve this problem the first time we decided we were going to change the codes for the doors to utilize the last 4 digits of the phone number that they provided during the booking process. Our communication to the guest would then specifically call out the actual code number but we also let them know that it is coded to the last 4 digits of their phone number. This dramatically reduced the number of calls we got because people remember their phone number and they remember us telling them that the lock is coded with their phone number.

The ask here is have OwnerRez give us the option to utilize last 4 digits of phone number starting with the mobile number if available, and then any other phone number if mobile is not available and finally, if no phone is available continue to use the random number. We would like to see this on their "Manual" Lock integration and any door lock integration where they control the generation of the lock code (Brivo for example). For integrations that don't support last 4 digits (RemoteLock) the option to use last 4 would not apply.

The Short Term S
Feb 23, 2021 8:23 PM
Joined Jan, 2021 2 posts

I also would like this feature, I have it automated, but continue to manually type it to them, which makes it so it is still something in the process I cannot automate. This would be a great feature!

Ben
Feb 26, 2021 7:58 PM
Joined Jan, 2020 45 posts

+1 this feature would be great - a tag that takes the last 4 digits of guest phone number, shouldn’t be an issue for these guys! :)

Doug D
Mar 6, 2021 12:21 AM
Joined Jan, 2020 16 posts

Yes please! I know it must be possible, because I had this exact feature when using Smartbnb.

Valerie R
Mar 11, 2021 2:05 PM
Joined Sep, 2019 119 posts

We used to generate door codes to be the last 4 digits of the guests' telephone numbers for the same reason.

Then I received a request from a guest to change it to something else "for security reasons".

You can't please them all!

We decided then to just let the system generate a random 4-digit code and send instructions to the guest on how they can change it if they want to.

We rarely hear from guests that they don't have the door code, but that might be because besides including the door code in the Check-in instructions email that is sent (10 days prior to arrival), we also send an email/Airbnb message on the morning of their arrival that includes the property address and the door code as well as a reminder that complete instructions were sent to them 10 days ago.

PacViewLodging
Mar 26, 2021 10:11 PM
Joined Sep, 2019 74 posts

Valerie I am curious how you address the email issue with the Integrated Partners (ABB/Booking/VRBO, etc). We are finding that even though the guest has this "email" on the partner system that is NOT their real email they never get those emails. It amazes me how many people tell us they never received arrival instructions yet in OR I can see that they were sent. We then started doing as you do... we send a text message on the day of arrival that includes the door lock code. We also ask them to complete our POC/Rental Agreement so we get their real email. That has cut down on the calls quite a bit but the ABB guest and ABB messaging still seem to be the ones that are the biggest complainers that they don't get their messages. I'm not sure how large your operation is... we are talking potentially 200-400 ABB bookings per month. So any ideas you have on cutting down on the calls is appreciated...

We have also started a program of proactively reaching out to guests if they have not arrived on property by 8pm. (Our door lock system tells us the first time that the code for the guest is used in the door lock - Would love to get this integrated into OR so the proactive reach out could also be automated) It has saved us quite a few times from the 1am calls about needing to get their door lock code.