Experience the difference of "Elite".

Differing cancellation policy for different dates

Chuck K
Dec 13, 2020 12:16 PM
Joined Oct, 2019 83 posts

I stumbled across the fact that Airbnb is now offerng this, and I think it is a great idea. I would very much like to have a stricter cancellation policy during prime periods (like Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring break, etc) but a looser on during slower periods to potentially attract more bookings.

Are there plans to support this within OwnerRez for API-connected listings?

And, if so, will that carry-over to direct booking with OR as well?

Chris Hynes
Dec 14, 2020 10:59 AM
OR Team Member Joined Oct, 2012 1400 posts

I'm not aware of Airbnb letting you set a different cancellation policy for specific date ranges, other than things they have admin overridden for COVID etc. Not a user accessible, "use policy X for these dates and policy Y for those dates." Can you link over a support article on their side that describes the process?

Chuck K
Dec 14, 2020 2:59 PM

I went back to the page and it wasn't there. I SWEAR it was there yesterday as I was playing with it on one of our listings. I wonder if it was a new feature that was accidentally released to some SuperHosts then withdrawn?

It offered the opportunity to pick a different cancellation policy along with a start and end date. Pretty simple from the owner's viewpoint.

Chuck K
Dec 15, 2020 10:53 AM

Chris: I found the entry in my browser history but the page now comes up empty. The URL includes "variable-cancellation".

I called Airbnb and they said it was a new feature that was released to a limited set of SuperHosts, then pulled back. So, it is coming. Maybe your contacts on the API team have more details or info.

Chris Hynes
Dec 15, 2020 12:03 PM
OR Team Member Joined Oct, 2012 1400 posts

Interesting! I haven't seen it on the API side yet, but we'll keep our eyes peeled.

We do support the non-refundable discount option already.