Experience the difference of "Elite".

Collect Photo ID Option in Rental Agreement

Shawn H
Aug 25, 2022 6:31 PM
OR Team Member Joined Aug, 2021 205 posts

The custom field file format option has been released!

The File format option can be used for all custom field types, but only Booking type custom fields can be shown to guests on checkout/quote acceptance or rental agreement signing. If you select "file" as the format, you can also show this field during the checkout process to capture a file upload (e.g., JPG, PNG, PDF) from the guest.

Only the file name will be rendered using the custom field code. No image or thumbnail is available to show back to the guest. This is for security purposes at this time. You can insert the field code into the rental agreement or messaging template to remind them that they have uploaded "X" file name as part of the process.

Learn more here:

Michelle G
Feb 12, 2021 3:03 PM
Joined Sep, 2020 4 posts

Begging for this feature!!! Many would be happier uploading it this way than texting or emailing.

Mike R
Mar 15, 2021 6:01 PM
Joined Jun, 2018 3 posts

Absolutely need this! Trying to convince our town to no longer force In Person Check-In and part of that would be getting their ID - I have 20 cabins so I can't ask fo them to email it- need it to be automated.

joelle m
Mar 27, 2021 2:40 PM
Joined Oct, 2020 13 posts

We absolutely need to be able to create fields within contracts that guests will fill out with the requested information as well as upload requested documents.
I can no longer just ask for such information from my guests either directly or through fields and then create a contract that will display the fields within the contract for the guest to sign.
It really needs to be a one step process to be effective.
Until it is, I am forced to use a PDF creator and collect documents separately.It is a really hassle and not conducive for property owners who are planning to use ownerrez for multiple properties. Thank you for considering.

Greg S
Mar 29, 2021 11:27 AM
Joined Mar, 2018 17 posts

Add me as one more person who's been patiently awaiting the ability to have an image uploaded as part of the e-signing workflow. Right now my process is to have the guest manually email me a photo then I upload it into the 'File' section of the reservation in OwnerRez, but that just doesn't scale well and is prone to missing the ID.
I also have door codes schedule to automatically be emailed to the guest the day of check-in...I don't want those to be sent if the ID hasn't been received yet, so requiring it as part of contract signing would eliminate this potential oversight.

Paul W
Mar 29, 2021 3:31 PM
OR Team Member Joined Jun, 2009 825 posts

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I get it! And 100+ votes on this feature request makes it pretty clear where we have a hole. :-)

Arrive and Thriv
Mar 29, 2021 3:41 PM
Joined Aug, 2020 36 posts

Thanks Paul. Really looking forward to this integration. I currently have to ask for the ID in each platform directly and hope for the best since there is no way to automatically verify that an image has been sent. And it would only serve to be a stronger backbone legally if guests did upload a picture of their ID at the time of signing the contract, showing that it is far more likely to have been them than someone else scamming with their credit card info. Since Covid people are getting sneakier and sneakier, so this would be a huge help for operators.

Again, thank you for being a fantastic CEO with a fantastic product and a fantastic team. I am consistently prideful of my decision to go with OR after reviewing nearly 25 OPM’s.

Ben Bledsoe
Arrive and Thrive

Chris A
Mar 29, 2021 3:45 PM
Joined May, 2019 17 posts

If this is added we need a way to set up a trigger to detect whether an ID has been uploaded. I collect them for bookings from all channels. Right now I am manually requesting them with an email template set up in OR and then uploading to the files section when they send it.

If there could be a way to set a trigger to send an email and an upload link asking the traveler to upload the ID that would be great. For example, guest books through Vrbo and booking is imported. We need to be able to have a setup to then send an email to the traveler requesting ID. Then if they do not do it within X amount of days it send reminders from triggers. I do this all manually right now, but it sure would save some time if this could be added in sometime soon.

Fenwick Vacation
Apr 19, 2021 10:54 AM
Joined May, 2018 20 posts

The ID verification component would be very valuable. Credit card fraud is on the rise and the banks will reverse charges, post stay, if ID hasn’t been verified.

Fenwick Vacation
Apr 19, 2021 11:48 AM
Joined May, 2018 20 posts

Hi OwnerRez,

This one seems like a bit of a hurdle for you guys over there. Have you considered not starting this from scratch? There looks to be some decent APIs out there that could get this feature up and running without too much leg work. Here's a link to an API that you could build right into your site:

https://www.acuant.com/developers/acuant-mobile-app-sdk-trial/

Thanks for your attention on this!

Cheers

Paul W
Apr 19, 2021 2:15 PM
OR Team Member Joined Jun, 2009 825 posts

[Another topic was closed as a duplicate of this topic (https://www.ownerrez.com/forums/requests/identification-verificationupload)]

Scott J
May 9, 2021 9:51 PM
Joined Mar, 2019 167 posts

I, for one, will never want to submit to facial recognition that anyone but myself or thing that no one else but me can control or access.

Scott J
May 9, 2021 9:53 PM

What is the progress on this feature now?

When you have it done, adding this as a trigger Booking Status criteria will be perfect.

Scott J
May 13, 2021 10:03 PM

Any word on the progress of this, by far the very most popular feature request?

Ken T
May 14, 2021 8:58 AM
OR Team Member Joined Aug, 2019 1473 posts

Because of its inherent complexity, this feature is unlikely in the near future.

However, we do have an alternative partial solution that will be available shortly - a third party integration that offers an advanced property insurance product, as well as actual verification of guest IDs.

Arrive and Thriv
May 14, 2021 9:04 AM
Joined Aug, 2020 36 posts

I would be fine with a simple photo upload that we verify ourselves. A simple solution would be the ability to email the uploaded photo to the host for quick review. And if that proves too difficult, a simple upload that goes into the booking “files” would be plenty. I would prefer not have to pay for an expensive 3rd party verification service if possible. The image alone would be fine for us in most cases.

Thanks Ken!

Stephanie S
May 14, 2021 10:25 AM
Joined Mar, 2019 1 post

Ken,
Do you have more info on this upcoming partial solution?
Thanks,
Steph Schnitker

Michelle G
May 14, 2021 10:52 AM
Joined Sep, 2020 4 posts

I would not be on board with paying for yet another 3rd party solution. I feel like add on fees for something that is as simple as a guest uploading a photo of the ID wouldn't be worth it. In the summer I'm looking at 4-5 max per month so paying an extra monthly fee for that wouldn't be something I would be willing to do.

Ken T
May 14, 2021 10:59 AM
OR Team Member Joined Aug, 2019 1473 posts

This will be a service provided by Safely - it should be announced in our blog later this month.

Greg S
May 14, 2021 11:15 AM
Joined Mar, 2018 17 posts

Ditto. I don't need any complicated ID verification service, just the ability for the guest to upload a photo of their ID as part of the rental agreement signing process and have that image file be put in the 'files' section of theor reservation. I'll then manually look at it and make sure it's matches the reservation.

Sure, there are additional layers of functionality I'd like to see, but the basic feature described above is what I most need. So starting with developing that would be great, then as time allows, have the developers expand the feature's functionality to include things like the ability to set a flag that the ID has been uploaded, a flag that the ID has been verified, etc. and have automated emails be based on those flags.

Michelle G
May 14, 2021 11:24 AM
Joined Sep, 2020 4 posts

If the rates are anywhere close to what they are asking for on their website I'm a hard no. We already have damage insurance through OR. I don't need a background check. Just the ability to upload an ID.