Experience the difference of "Elite".

Widget of amenities

BlueMtnCabins
Feb 28, 2019 12:00 PM
Joined Jun, 2016 1115 posts

Would be great if there was a widget that could generate some sort oif check list / bullet list with small icons based on amenities. You already have some on availability search widget , kind of like that. So we could embed in website.

Such as:
bedrooms
Hot tub
Fireplace
wooded or mountain or water view (or all)
sleeps
No pets/yes pets
WiFI
Security cameras
Grill
patio/deck furniture
Firepit
bathrooms (number and icon)
dinning for (number)
Central heat/ac
family friendly
parking (nbr of cars)

Other stuff?
you can see similar list on my site but it is not very flexible and icons don't necessarily match the VR

Rich S
Feb 28, 2019 1:59 PM
Joined Dec, 2018 301 posts

I agree - I'm working on a website and started looking around for nice icons to use and didn't find anything obvious. I'm sure they are available somewhere, but there's a fee to be paid. Unless y'all are artists and will design your own, I imagine you'd need to get a license so that's a complication.

For me, either a widget like BlueMtn described or if y'all could just identify a nice set of icons that work well (paid is okay), that would be just as well. I don't personally need it to be dynamic and part of a widget, and in fact having the flexibility to move icons around is a nice thing. Means I can display differently depending upon whether the website is being viewed on a desktop, ipad, or portrait/landscape phone.

ShenRent
Feb 28, 2019 2:20 PM
Joined Dec, 2009 54 posts

Look at the FontAwesome stuff. There's a zillion of them and they are better than icons - they're actually web "fonts" so you can increase their size or color perfectly by just specifying HTML attributes.

Rich S
Feb 28, 2019 2:28 PM

ShenRent - I looked at https://fontawesome.com/v4.7.0/icons/ and searched for groups of icons related to real estate or rentals, and then individual icons like pool, hottub, laundry, washing machine, etc and didn't find any...

But thanks for the tip - being open source/free to use is great, and I imagine I'll find some icons that will work.

ShenRent
Feb 28, 2019 2:43 PM
Joined Dec, 2009 54 posts

Check out the FamFamFam set as well. The silk ones: http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/. Big group, maybe not every specific amenity you want but a large free set. FontAwesome or FamFamFam may build some custom ones for you if you pay them.

BlueMtnCabins
Mar 1, 2019 10:05 AM

Finding individual icons is no issue. for me issue was creating sort of table or check list with icons and their descriptions that look good. maybe my website limitation but they never looked good. I found some "datalist" in my site builder but to me they are too large and some do not make sense even though it was best ones I could select . i cannot add outside one to the datalist. you can look at this smoky-mountains-cabin.com/RVL

Tim K
Mar 4, 2019 12:34 PM
Joined Jul, 2017 71 posts

Mine is very similar. https://www.beachhaven7.com/amenities/

Rich S
Mar 4, 2019 12:45 PM

Very nice website Tim K! Thanks for sharing it, and the icons too...

BlueMtnCabins
Aug 16, 2019 2:14 PM

So i am back to this., I found some in my website builder tool, but I am not really happy with them as they are not scaled right (and I can only adjust them so much) and they are not VR relevant. Would be awesome if checking off of amenities generated widget embed with proper icons and short text. But I am dreaming. here is my site, see what I am talking about icon wise smoky-mountains-cabin.com/rvl

Chris Hynes
Aug 19, 2019 10:41 AM
OR Team Member Joined Oct, 2012 1400 posts

Yep, that looks really good!

Do you have any idea about a good icon pack for VR? That's the thing we've run up against in the past trying to do this -- there are a couple hundred amenities and for a widget like this to look good they all need individual icons and the icons need to have a consistent style.

BlueMtnCabins
Aug 19, 2019 10:54 AM

Chris Hynes said:

Yep, that looks really good!

Do you have any idea about a good icon pack for VR? That's the thing we've run up against in the past trying to do this -- there are a couple hundred amenities and for a widget like this to look good they all need individual icons and the icons need to have a consistent style.

This may not cover all, and icons I picked were not always applicable (but I picked what was available from site builder). i like your icons (size/style ) better. Some to start with:

# of bedrooms
Hot tub
Fireplace
Views (wooded or mountain or water view or city etc (or more than one like: mountain and wooded)
# sleeps
No pets/yes pets
WiFI
Security cameras
Grill
patio/deck furniture
Firepit
bathrooms (number and icon)
dinning for (number)
Central heat/ac
family friendly
parking (nbr of cars)
billiards table
Ping pong table
Air hockey
Foosball
Games console
neighborhood friendly (no music/noise icon?)
full kitchen
Dining for #
Number of king beds
Number of queen beds
Number of other beds
Cable/ satellite TV
Pool ( private or shared)
Beach access

These come to mind, open to ideas?

BlueMtnCabins
Aug 19, 2019 10:55 AM

here are some. I do not like them being color, but maybe there is B&W version https://creativemarket.com/creativebythesea/236073-Vacation-Rental-Hotel-Vector-Icons

MB
Aug 21, 2019 1:22 PM
Joined Dec, 2018 23 posts

You are too hard on yourself. Those look awesome!

MB
Aug 21, 2019 1:48 PM
Joined Dec, 2018 23 posts

Tim, are those icons native to your website builder or did you buy/find them somewhere?