Experience the difference of "Elite".

Block bad guest

Susan H
Aug 12, 2018 8:47 AM
Joined Feb, 2016 20 posts

I would like to have a way to block a bad guest email and/or ip from hitting my website and booking. Some guests I just don't want back. Right now I allow guests to automatically book my condo. Im open to different ways to accomplish this other than sending an email that says I'm sorry my husband booked these dates and I didn't know.

Thanks.

Ventura County V
Mar 8, 2023 1:53 PM
Joined Mar, 2022 115 posts

Agreed, this would be a nice feature.  One that AB&B could use as well.  I only do request to book and no instant booking because of this.

Michael J
Mar 11, 2024 9:58 AM
Joined Jul, 2023 2 posts

I just ran into this and really need this feature.  Airbnb is saying they can't do this since I am API integrated and that I need to do this through my 3rd party app.;

Ken T
Mar 11, 2024 11:03 AM
OR Team Member Joined Aug, 2019 1477 posts

Unfortunately, this isn't really possible.

IP addresses are commonly shared and reassigned regularly, so that, while it is indeed technically possible to block a particular IP address, it wouldn't likely actually block the desired target for very long and would likely block other people you didn't intend to.

It would also be possible to block specific email addresses from making a booking, but of course most people have multiple email addresses and getting a new one is fast and free, so that wouldn't be very effective either.

Cynthia1067
Mar 11, 2024 11:35 AM
Joined Mar, 2016 4 posts

I’d be happy with blocking email. Would be better than nothing. 

Michael J
Mar 11, 2024 11:51 AM
Joined Jul, 2023 2 posts

Airbnb can do this if you are not API integrated, so they have a way to do it.  Airbnb support said since I'm API integrated, OR is responsible to present this feature option.  They were a bit shocked when I told them OR doesn't have the option.  Since this is an option for non-API integrated Airbnb hosts and Airbnb is expecting OR to offer this feature, I would assume the code is in the API and OR just needs to code the access and presentation into the OR website.  This would not be at an IP level...it would be at the guest user level.

Cynthia1067
Mar 11, 2024 12:33 PM
Joined Mar, 2016 4 posts

It can’t be that hard. And I think people are creatures of habit, and just use the same email so it’s at least better than nothing

Ken T
Mar 14, 2024 10:24 AM

We have confirmed that Airbnb's API integration includes no support for this feature, so, it is not possible for us to make use of it.

Vann Brann
yesterday
Joined Sep, 2021 5 posts

I agree this would be a great feature.  We have low cost, extraordinary properties in in-demand locations, and often sell out.  We like to block guests who leave tepid or vindictive reviews from future booking, on the theory that we really only want to be matched with guests who dig our style, and don't need the anxiety.  Just a "no thank you" button.

It's pretty crazy that a guest can review you poorly, and then still repeatedly book your place during peak season.  Nope, I'll see if someone else wants those dates.

Charlie S
yesterday
Joined Apr, 2019 5 posts

What about VRBO?

Ken T
yesterday

No, the Vrbo API doesn't support any such feature either, unfortunately.