Experience the difference of "Elite".

How do I update my preexisting OR-hosted website to a new domain (and retain with OR)?

Scott W
Oct 20, 2021 7:16 PM
Joined Jul, 2020 4 posts

I currently have a live website (y.com) hosted on OwnerRez with a domain I purchased through Google. I recently acquired a new (better) website domain (z.com) we want to use, which I also purchased through Google. I want to retain the existing OR site hosted on OR entirely as-is--but have it listed under the new domain (z.com). How do I go about this? I looked for instructions on OR, and found a "Transitioning" page that refers to re-directing, etc. But that page refers to sites that are not hosted by OR's servers. So I'm not sure how to go about transferring a domain for a site that is already hosted by OR, and I simply need to change the domain. Thank you for any guidance!

Paul W
Oct 21, 2021 9:32 AM
OR Team Member Joined Jun, 2009 826 posts

Hi Scott, just change the domain name on the website settings to the new domain name (z.com). You should be able to edit that field. Before doing that, make sure to follow our Going Live steps to put the correct DNS records in place on the new domain name (z.com).

Ken T
Oct 21, 2021 10:43 AM
OR Team Member Joined Aug, 2019 1545 posts

One other thing you probably should do - you don't want to lose all the accumulated SEO mojo of your old domain name, even if the new one is better. So, make sure to work with your domain registrar to set up a 301 redirect of the old domain to the new one.

https://www.ownerrez.com/support/articles/hosted-transitioning#redirecting-domains

Willem K
Sep 15, 2023 9:37 AM
Joined Feb, 2023 1 post

I have a domain with a website at OwnerRez. I have a new domain and I want to replace the old domain with my new domain. I was reading above that it is easy; just change the DNS settings and replace the old domain with the new one. Of course, I don't want to lose all my link rankings. So, I want to create a 301 redirect from my old domain to my new domain. I can't quite get my head around how to do this. I see the tab for redirecting, but what happens to all the redirects when I replace my old domain with a new one? I have about 12 redirects! I don't quite understand how to carry out the 301 redirects since I am staying on the same server with OwnerRez. I might be overcomplicating things... sorry for that.

Caleb M
Sep 19, 2023 11:18 AM
OR Team Member Joined Mar, 2022 120 posts

Hi Willem,

We don't generally support doing redirects from one domain to another domain. We only support redirecting pages inside a site.

To redirect from an old domain to a new domain, I recommend using the forwarding feature that most registrars support: https://www.ownerrez.com/support/articles/hosted-transitioning#redirecting-domains

~Caleb