Experience the difference of "Elite".

Emails not being sent to Airbnb guest with API connection

Jennifer A
Apr 20, 2021 10:35 PM
Joined Apr, 2021 2 posts

I'm brand new to all this. Got my first booking for this Friday. Went today to see why I haven't received a signed rental agreement and discovered my email was never sent even though it is set up as a trigger. Went reading through the help stuff and saw this

"If you are using an API connection to Airbnb, TripAdvisor, CanadaStays, or Booking.com - the API connection will not give you the guest's real email address. They only give you a fake temporary proxy email address that goes through their server. But it is able to handle real email, so the method discussed on this page will work: the trigger can automatically send out an email template inviting the guest into an OwnerRez process that will obtain their real email address and get an e-signature on your rental agreement."

Well, I do have an API connection to Airbnb but it's still not sending my emails. When I look at the email it just shows as needs to be sent. When I manually try to send them it can't because I don't know the guests email address. How do I fix this?

Jennifer A
Apr 20, 2021 11:15 PM
Joined Apr, 2021 2 posts

I think I figured out the problem. It's because Airbnb stopped using the email alias feature a year ago. I had to manually go into Airbnb to turn it on. OwnerRez should add this information into their help guide for Airbnb API and the email template/trigger information.

Ken T
Apr 21, 2021 8:45 AM
OR Team Member Joined Aug, 2019 1547 posts

Good point - we added instructions to that support doc.

https://www.ownerrez.com/support/articles/proxy-email-addresses