Experience the difference of "Elite".

Tags and message triggers

Chris L
Oct 15, 2020 6:04 PM
Joined May, 2017 199 posts

Any way to incorporate the new Tag feature into message triggers?

What I'd like to do is only send my welcome letter with door lock code to guests who have both signed the RA and sent me their ID. The easiest way I can think to keep track of this is by adding an "ID Received" tag to bookings once I receive a copy of their ID. If the tag isn't present, then the message trigger shouldn't fire until the tag is added.

(Of course, I'd love OR to automate this entirely by integrating with an ID verification service--I've posted on that topic before. ;) )

Ken T
Oct 15, 2020 7:01 PM
OR Team Member Joined Aug, 2019 1472 posts

Yes, integrating tags with triggers is a planned feature.

Chris L
Oct 19, 2020 1:53 AM
Joined May, 2017 199 posts

Looks like the logic for the Tags feature in the Triggers is either "Only" or "Everything But."

Can one more logic gate be added: "Contains"? I want to set up a trigger to send a Welcome Packet to people once I've verified their ID, which I'll mark by adding an "ID Verified" tag to their booking. But I also have other tags set up, so "Only" doesn't work, because a booking might have 2 or 3 other tags. So I need the trigger to send to all bookings that "Contains" the "ID Verified" tag, regardless of the presence or absence of other tags. That doesn't seem possible right now. Thanks!

Paul W
Oct 20, 2020 12:41 PM
OR Team Member Joined Jun, 2009 825 posts

The "only" option does not exclude bookings with other. By "only", it means that only bookings that contain that tag (regardless of any other tags they might have) will be included. So I think you should be good to go.

cp9293
Oct 31, 2020 8:47 PM
Joined Apr, 2012 395 posts

How do I set up something, from start to finish, if I need to receive a Guest Registration Form, before I send the email with the keyless entry? Thanks

Ken T
Nov 2, 2020 8:28 AM

You mean a signed Rental Agreement? There's a criteria in the Trigger you can use, so a given email won't be sent out if they haven't.

cp9293
Nov 2, 2020 1:01 PM
Joined Apr, 2012 395 posts

No. I mean something that they need to fill out for me and I would have to manually enter as a trigger stating YES, before send the last email with the Keyless entry code.

Ken T
Nov 2, 2020 1:04 PM

You'd probably want to do that with our new Tags feature - you'd create a tag that you manually add to a booking once the guest has done whatever it is that you want them to do, and then set having that tag as a criteria on the trigger.

Tina S
Jan 6, 2021 2:40 PM
Joined Sep, 2020 1 post

Paul W said:

The "only" option does not exclude bookings with other. By "only", it means that only bookings that contain that tag (regardless of any other tags they might have) will be included. So I think you should be good to go.

Similarly, can you clairfy the "Everything But" option in Tags? I am using "Only" Tag "Photo ID Received" to trigger sending the guest their check-in letter. Converselyr, can I use "Everything But" Tag "Photo ID Received" to trigger sending the guest a reminder that we have not yet received their photo ID?

Joel P
Jan 6, 2021 5:05 PM
OR Team Member Joined Oct, 2009 122 posts

Yep! You can use "Everything but" to match any booking that does not have a particular set of tags.

Valerie R
Jan 19, 2021 11:12 AM
Joined Sep, 2019 119 posts

Question about using tags in triggers: There are 2 types of tags, one related to bookings and one related to guests.

If we create a trigger to use "only" a specific tag, does the trigger look at ALL tags or only the tags related to bookings?

In the case of collecting IDs, it would make sense to add the "ID received" tag on the guest so that it is visible if the guest should book another stay in the future; we wouldn't have to ask them for a copy of their ID on subsequent bookings.

But if we create a trigger to automatically send Check-in instructions based upon "paid in full", "Rental agreement signed (yes)" and "ID received" will the system trigger the email if the tag is related ONLY to the guest? Or does it also need to be related to the booking?

Chris Hynes
Jan 27, 2021 12:16 PM
OR Team Member Joined Oct, 2012 1400 posts

Yes, the trigger looks at both Booking and Guest tags (as well as Property tags as well).

So something that applies to the guest in general like "ID received" that should apply to future stays you'd put on the guest. But something that applies to that particular booking like "flight info received" or something like that -- that would go on the booking.

Andree M
Aug 30, 2022 10:51 AM
Joined Nov, 2018 11 posts

We would like to see the use of TAG expanded. We have owners that do not wish to charge friends a Security Deposit and use a different Legal Agreement. We also charge a lower commission on owner referred bookings. This requires that it go beyond standard triggers and affect PM, rules and system messages. Is this possible in a future release? Also being able to automatically add, remove and change charges based on a TAG would solve problems regarding special handling in many situations. Adding a TAG to a booking that changed a number of parameters and standard charges would be VERY helpful.