Experience the difference of "Elite".

City Tax on Homeaway through API

Daniel
Apr 14, 2020 2:31 PM
Joined Jul, 2016 17 posts

I need to collect and remit our city lodging tax. Vrbo only does county and state taxes.

My listing are connected through API.

I figured it out on Airbnb where I set it up as Passthrough, but how would I set it up on Homeaway?

Chris Hynes
Apr 14, 2020 2:42 PM
OR Team Member Joined Oct, 2012 1400 posts

When you're in API mode with VRBO, they will pass all applicable taxes through to you -- basically the same as a direct booking.

You don't need to do any special configuration for that like you do with Airbnb -- just make sure the taxes are applicable to the HomeAway listing site.

Daniel
Apr 14, 2020 2:48 PM
Joined Jul, 2016 17 posts

Thank you for quick reply, Chris, but they don't. They collect and remit county and state taxes:

"We collect State Sales and Use Tax and State-administered Local Sales Tax for all reservations in the state of Colorado under 30 nights. The taxes are remitted by us directly to the state. We began collecting and remitting in Colorado October 1, 2019."

They do not collect city tax, though. I have the city taxes set in OwnerRez, but it doesn't show on Vrbo site - I pretended to be a guest and tried to make a "fake" reservation. Only county and state tax is being collected.

Ken T
Apr 14, 2020 5:15 PM
OR Team Member Joined Aug, 2019 1473 posts

Can you write in to the Helpdesk about this issue? I took a look at your account, and some of your properties are on the API, and some aren't. The API ones should still do all the taxes, as Chris said, because you're doing your own charging of the guests. The other ones may be an issue, so we need to gather more information with you.