Experience the difference of "Elite".

Emails going to spam

BlueMtnCabins
Jan 21, 2020 4:08 PM
Joined Jun, 2016 1117 posts

Lately I have more and more occurrences when OR-generated emails end up in spam. I had several calls form renters saying they "did not receive" directions or door codes (which were sent on schedule). More often than not I ask them to look in spam folder and sure enough. They are there. I know nothing OR can do about spam settings but this makes SMS even more desirable.

Ken T
Jan 21, 2020 6:47 PM
OR Team Member Joined Aug, 2019 1550 posts

You need to use our Verified Email system. That doesn't 100% solve this problem but it generally helps. Please reach out to the helpdesk for assistance in getting this set up.

Misty T
Sep 28, 2020 12:30 PM
Joined Jan, 2018 9 posts

I have had the same problem here recently. It seems to be with gmail accounts for me.

Jaime T
Apr 6, 2022 4:03 PM
Joined Mar, 2022 4 posts

I just recently set up my verified email on  my own domain and I'm having near 100% issues with emails getting to my cleaners or guests. It's either  outright rejecting them (this happened on my personal email as a test) or going straight to spam. 

What do I do??

Tonya M
Apr 6, 2022 7:33 PM
Joined Mar, 2021 3 posts

I am following this question as I have a lot of guests Auto Generated Emails go to their SPAM.  Is there anything I can do to help this.  Our email is verified.

Tonya M
Apr 6, 2022 7:34 PM
Joined Mar, 2021 3 posts

I am following this question as I have a lot of guests Auto Generated Emails go to their SPAM.  Is there anything I can do to help this.  Our email is verified.

Ken T
Apr 6, 2022 11:27 PM

Unfortunately, there is no way to be absolutely sure the emails sent to your guests won't end up in their spam folders instead.  The nature of the Internet email system originated half a century ago, and was never designed for how it's used today.  The best we can do is to work within existing systems, and lower the likelihood that your emails will be viewed as spam.

1. If you're not using the OwnerRez Verified Email system, and an email address from a domain you own, you should do so - it's a straightforward way to significantly reduce the risk of spam identification.  Free Gmail accounts are notorious for spam, so you don't want to use those if at all possible.

2. Does the content of your emails look like spam?  There are a number of testing tools and resources on the Internet you can use to see how spammy your standard emails are:

https://www.mail-tester.com/

https://blogs.constantcontact.com/how-to-avoid-spam/

3. Many email client programs include the ability to add addresses or domains to a whitelist, that the inbox knows not to flag as spam.  You can ask your guests to look into this and add yours.  However, every client is different, so they'd have to research how to do that themselves.

4. Sometimes, if your guests simply add your email address to their address book, your messages are automatically accepted.

5. Even with all of the above, anyone receiving any email can flag it as spam manually.  If you are getting regular spam complaints, perhaps the problem isn't computer systems in between, it's what your messages look like in the inbox?  For example, if you are using many emojis in your subject line, that's a hallmark of spam.

Devin R
Jun 21, 2023 4:04 PM
Joined May, 2022 2 posts

Ken - Thanks for these tips. I've been working through the list and when using https://www.mail-tester.com/ the review is flagging the following error:

I believe this is associated with a tracking pixel or something that OwnerRez is inserting into the email dynamically. Is that right? If so, can your Eng team please add the "alt" tag to clear this up and improve deliverability?

Cheers, Devin

Ken T
Jun 21, 2023 4:06 PM

It's a single pixel for tracking - there's nothing visible for anyone to see, blind or otherwise.

Devin R
Jun 21, 2023 4:16 PM
Joined May, 2022 2 posts

Understood, but the lack of an alt tag (even a blank one) is being flagged as a potential spam signal, so wouldn't it be best to just add the tag?

Ken T
Jun 22, 2023 8:23 PM

The devs agree with you, so, it shall be done.