Experience the difference of "Elite".

Multiple property templates, quotes inquiries

E & R Vacation R
Jan 11, 2020 12:04 AM
Joined Jan, 2020 56 posts

I had set up my first property and finally figured out how to make my custom template for the one, and it seemed to be working. I want the inquiry to include my "thanks for your interest" type message, with a little info about each property, the various SD charges, and how to book. I went in to add the next property, and it seems that I overrode the first template, now I'm at a loss as to how do this? For some of the templates, there doesn't seem to be a way to determine which property it would pertain to? I'm missing something.

Should I just set up two different templates for each autoresponder? How does the system realize which template to use, if there is no drop down for which property to use it for?

What I want is to have the very first initial inquiry answered with:
My little blurb about the property, the payment schedule, the SD and the quote/with the paypal link to pay the booking deposit. Would this all be in the "form" or do I have to include it in the body?

TIA

Lydia B
Jan 11, 2020 11:02 AM
Joined May, 2019 159 posts

Hi! Glad to see you're still you're still fighting the good fight!

I'm not quite sure what the specifics are, but when I have different info that needs to go to people depending on varying circumstances, I do the following:
** Write the template for the first situation. Insert links or fields as appropriate. Name this template something specific so you know exactly which property/listing site/circumstance it's for.
** Go to "Triggers" and set up the trigger for that specific template. So for one that I have that's only for VRBO bookings, I go to the "Booking Relationship" section of the trigger set-up and pick "Listing Site" - "Only" - "VRBO". If you only want to send it to folks who've booked a specific property, you also do that in the "Booking Relationship" section.

Start over again for the next email template. You may want to copy the body of the first template, but you definitely need to create a totally new one with another name to tell you what it's for. Once that template is good to go, create another trigger just for it.

Other trigger options may make a difference in whether you send the template - if the booking is fully paid for, if they've signed your renter agreement, if it's just one of your properties or all but one, etc.

If you have 5 properties, you may end up with 5 templates and 5 triggers. Pain to set up, but amazing once it's up and running.

E & R Vacation R
Jan 11, 2020 11:02 AM

To Clarify:
I have 3 properties that are completely different, different states, etc. In making my custom email templates, I THINK I have just realized that I can't set up separate templates for each property, but need to make custom fields for the body text for each property???

For instance the SD is a different rate for each property, so I need to customize that portion of the Security Deposit request/reminder. Then for the inquiry response, I want the quote, a little blurb about the property highlights, and of course the payment information (PayPal). And so on, for check in/out email w/ the document list for both. The documents would have to be a custom field of the uploaded docs? And the system would "pull" the correct info for each property? So the custom fields are the only way to designate which property the info is pulled from?

I just inadvertently overrode the templates I set up for one property UGH... So really looking for confirmation that my newest understanding is correct?

Lydia B
Jan 11, 2020 11:32 AM
Joined May, 2019 159 posts

Each property will need a template and a trigger just for that template. You might be able to copy the body of the template from one property to the next to keep from having to retype the basics, but you'll have to make sure the "field" or link you've inserted in each template is specific to that property if you want to send different info for different locations. If everything is the same, then you should be able to use the same template.

Once you've got all your templates and triggers set up you can always go back and name them with some leading symbol/word that sorts them in a more logical order when you're looking at the main template or trigger page. Just make sure if you change the name of a template you go into the corresponding trigger and update the name of the template! Hahahaa!

Tim M
Jan 11, 2020 11:41 AM
Joined Dec, 2019 8 posts

Does any one have any suggestion for a property who is not tech savy at all how to use this software. My friends so who set this up is going back to college and i am now on own.

E & R Vacation R
Jan 11, 2020 1:48 PM

Ahhh...I tried setting up different templates for each property and overrode the first one, I guess it's back to the starting block again. I had thought that if the Booking ID # was part of the body, all the info would pull from that property. Been working on this for a week now, and feeling very frustrated.

E & R Vacation R
Jan 11, 2020 2:10 PM

Ahhh...I tried setting up different templates for each property and overrode the first one, I guess it's back to the starting block again. I had thought that if the Booking ID # was part of the body, all the info would pull from that property. Been working on this for a week now, and feeling very frustrated.

Chris Hynes
Jan 11, 2020 3:47 PM
OR Team Member Joined Oct, 2012 1400 posts

So it sounds like you're configuring a System Message template, is that right? Each one of those has only one template in your account. There can be multiple templates/triggers for each property if you want, but only one System Message for the whole account (for each type of System Message).

Usually, though, it's way easier to just do one template that has the overall stuff that's the same per property, and then use the Insert Field button to insert fields for the parts that change like property name, address, etc. Don't create a custom field for the entire body (although if it works better for you, you could), but create several custom fields just for the bits of data that are different like property highlights, directions, etc. That way your overall email template is the same, but it will mail merge with the sections that are applicable per property.

Sounds like more work up front, but then later when you want to change the common part of the template you have to only change that in one spot instead of multiple.

Here's an article that walks you through the ins and outs of custom fields and email templates: https://www.ownerrez.com/support/articles/pre-arrival-email-templates-triggers-custom-fields

BlueMtnCabins
Jan 13, 2020 10:49 AM
Joined Jun, 2016 1115 posts

links and values that are property specific should be defined as custom fields, and inserted into template. So each property has its own values. That way you can use one template for all properties instead of defining copies of same template for each property.
of course it works only if the properties are similar enough. If one is on the beach and template text talks about beach and other one is in the mountains and template needs to mention mountains, this will not work. here is my sample template for respond-to-inquiry-with-quote. {PXOLIMIT} is a custom field I defined that holds maximum occupancy for each property; {FACEBOOK} and {INSTAGRAM} are linkks to FB and IG pages respectively:

Hi {CFIRST},

Thank you for your inquiry about {PDISPNAME} ({PIMGCAPTION}) - a private vacation home, rented out by owners (not a management company or an agent).

The dates you are inquiring about {IARR} - {IDEP} are available.

The quote is shown below, with the rate details and all the information you need to accept/finalize your reservation online.

First, please see information about renting our cabin:

NO smoking ~ NO pets ~ NO house parties.
Must be at least 25 years of age to rent, and be present during the entire stay. No 3rd party rentals. Minors under 18 can only stay with parent, legal guardian or responsible adult.
No occupancy above total {PXOLIMIT} (which includes all children ages 0 and up), with maximum {PXMAXADULTS} persons over 14 years of age. We do not permit over limit occupancy.
Amount Due to book is {QFPAMT}. Balance of {QSPAMT} will be due on {QSPDATE}. This amount includes Refundablerental deposit.
For Advance bookings, interim payments can be made at any time as long as balance is paid in full {QSPDAY} days before check in date.
Availability is real time and may change after this email is sent. Cabin is not reserved until paid and booking is accepted.
Rental Deposit of {PXDEPOSIT} will be refunded/released within 14 days after check-out if there are no damages or excessive cleaning required.
Primary guest must sign the Rental Agreement and provide valid photo ID within 72 hours from booking. ID must match credit card used for payment.
60 day cancellation policy (full refund if cancelled by guest 60 or more days before the scheduled check-in).
Payments accepted: major credit cards, Venmo, PopMoney, Zelle, personal or cashiers check, money order (at least 35 days prior to check in date). Credit card convenience fee may apply.
Address, driving directions and check in instructions will be provided after balance is paid and few days prior to check in. See distance from the cabin to popular area destinations.
Owners reserve the right to install/operate security/image capture devices outside for the express purpose of securing the entryway, parking, cabin and its contents and to enforce occupancy/pet rules compliance.
Check in is {PCHECKIN} ET and check out is {PCHECKOUT} ET unless pre-arranged otherwise in advance. Late check will be subject to docking of the deposit.
WIFI is available via satellite service (typical speed up to 12 Mbps; Connection speed/availability is not guaranteed).
Property has yard, fire pit and ample parking. Yard is not fenced. Children must be under supervision of capable adult at all times.
Questions? Check our Vacation Guide, FAQ, What is provided and Cabin floor plan.
Interested in future updates and specials? Subscribe to newsletter
See the Reviews of our cabins.
'Like'{PDISPNAME} on {FACEBOOK} and follow on {INSTAGRAM} - we post updates, photos, area info, specials, or availability due to last minute cancellations.

{QPROPAVAILOTHER}
Please use the buttons at the bottom to view more information about the quote or to accept it and checkout. Our checkout form is simple to use and very secure.

{QHCTAB}

E & R Vacation R
Jan 13, 2020 11:32 AM

Thank you to all responders :) I *think* I have figured out the best way to do the templates, and yes, each of my properties are VASTLY different from another. For now, I will not use auto respond, in order to make sure everything is set up as it should be, for instance this morning I received an inquiry that overrode my PRIME date rates w/ the lowest rate in the inquiry--as the inquiry began in PRIME rate and ended in a lower shoulder season rate...YIKES. So, until I'm sure I've got everything sorted down to a "T"-- no autorespond for me. :(

BlueMtnCabins
Jan 13, 2020 11:38 AM
Joined Jun, 2016 1115 posts

There is a tick box in rates where it says pro rate or split. You have to set it up appropriately.

Valerie R
Jan 14, 2020 12:03 PM
Joined Sep, 2019 119 posts

@BlueMtnCabins, you said: "There is a tick box in rates where it says pro rate or split. You have to set it up appropriately."

Where is that exactly?

I went to "Seasonal Rates" to a weekly rate and under "Pro-Rate Behavior" I see these options:

Use this rate for bookings with the exact same number of nights
Use this rate for bookings with any number of nights (other nights are pro-rated at the same amount)
Use this rate for bookings with the same or fewer number of nights
Use this rate for bookings with the same or more number of nights

If I click the last option, this option appears:

Only use matching seasons to determine available nights for proration

Is this what you are referring to?

Chris Hynes
Jan 23, 2020 6:27 AM
OR Team Member Joined Oct, 2012 1400 posts

I think @BlueMtnCabins is referring to the Select By option at the top of the Season settings area -- you can choose to use the season by arrival, departure, or split across every day. Looks like you already have it set to split across (which is the default).