Experience the difference of "Elite".

Does pushing spot rates overwrite already booked dates with a (possibly) new rate?

Rich S
Dec 9, 2019 7:02 PM
Joined Dec, 2018 301 posts

Wondering what happens... I guess it maybe doesn't matter if the rate in VRBO calendar for a previously booked night gets changed, just curious.

The scenario might be that I reduced a rate in vrbo for a specific booking, maybe at last minute, and then my spot rate pushing rewrites it to the original nightly rate. Would that happen?

I'd rather that OR doesn't overwrite booked dates, hopefully that's how it works

Chris Hynes
Dec 13, 2019 9:16 AM
OR Team Member Joined Oct, 2012 1400 posts

Yes, OwnerRez pushes all rates regardless of whether they are booked. That's what you want so that if a booking is canceled you have the right rate in place.

Rates pushed won't affect something that has already booked. But if you're trying to reduce rates because you're expecting a booking, I'd recommend making the change in OwnerRez and pushing from there -- that way you won't have to worry about overwrites.

Rich S
Dec 13, 2019 9:31 AM

Chris Hynes said:

Yes, OwnerRez pushes all rates regardless of whether they are booked. That's what you want so that if a booking is canceled you have the right rate in place.

Rates pushed won't affect something that has already booked. But if you're trying to reduce rates because you're expecting a booking, I'd recommend making the change in OwnerRez and pushing from there -- that way you won't have to worry about overwrites.

Chris - next September as I set my winter season rates again I'll want to know what nightly rate I booked at for every night of every booking in the season. So that I can better prepare a new spreadsheet of spot rates for the next season. I'm not sure there is a way for me to get back to that granularity by any kind of OR booking report exported to a spreadsheet. And sounds like spot rates won't help me either because they could potentially (probably on accident) be changed by me during the many times I'll update them. Not sure how big of a deal this is, but it's part of why I'm asking to have a history for spot rate changes. And would be really nice for that history to show the rate at which the date was booked, regardless of whether it changed later on.

Chris Hynes
Dec 13, 2019 9:40 AM
OR Team Member Joined Oct, 2012 1400 posts

Yep, that makes a lot of sense for tracability.

Right now the closest thing for that is to run a booking detail report and look at the ADR column. That'll get you the average rent for the booking at time of booking, but it doesn't track to the level of the individual night rate.

Val Rogers
Dec 14, 2019 11:25 AM
Joined Oct, 2016 33 posts

Hi Rich,

I'm curious...when you enter Spot Rates in OR, do you enter them directly on the Rates Calendar? Or do you use the OR import/export spreadsheet to do it?

If you use the OR spreadsheet then you could just create a new spreadsheet and save it to document those rates.

Or, have a "Master" spreadsheet to archive the rates and each time you change the spot rates just copy that particular OR spreadsheet onto a new page of the Master, with maybe the date as the name of the sheet?

Rich S
Dec 14, 2019 1:41 PM

I

Val Rogers said:

Hi Rich,

I'm curious...when you enter Spot Rates in OR, do you enter them directly on the Rates Calendar? Or do you use the OR import/export spreadsheet to do it?

If you use the OR spreadsheet then you could just create a new spreadsheet and save it to document those rates.

Or, have a "Master" spreadsheet to archive the rates and each time you change the spot rates just copy that particular OR spreadsheet onto a new page of the Master, with maybe the date as the name of the sheet?

I start at the beginning of ski season with a spreadsheet. An also at beginning of summer season. In between I make countless minor adjustments using the new rate calendar.

I agree I can track it outside of ownerrez with spreadsheets, and in fact I try to export a new spreadsheet after each session of changes with rate calendar. But even though I’m extremely experienced with excel it’s still a pain to try to determine how rates changed over time.

A database would Be a much better approach, especially if it could automatically display a small visual of rate changes per date.

So in short, it’s just too hard to do outside or OR, that’s why I’m asking them to add a history feature.