Experience the difference of "Elite".

Creating a Trigger to send an email based on a Custom Field

Tracy P
Oct 21, 2019 10:50 AM
Joined Jul, 2019 18 posts

Good Day,

I have some guests who request a greeter to meet them instead of making their way to the property themselves. This is noted under custom fields. I have created a separate email template for those guests but I do not see a way to trigger that particular email as it is based on the custom field.

Is this possible? Otherwise I will need to manually go in and change all of these to the correct email template.

Thanks!

Lydia B
Oct 21, 2019 2:35 PM
Joined May, 2019 159 posts

There's probably a better way, but I have a similar situation and did a work-around as follows:

I write my email template for the special group of guests.
I do not permit pets, so my bookings will always show "0" in the number of pets field. For my special group of guests I go into their booking and change the "number of pets" field to 17.
I set up a trigger for that email. As part of the trigger I say to use the Booking Field "Number of Pets" is "Greater Than" 10. (I set it at 10 on the off chance I permit someone to bring a pet for some reason.)
My emails go out to this special group without my having to send them individually.

I know it's goofy, but it works. Hahahaaaa! Can't wait to hear how to do it the right way. :)

Ken T
Oct 21, 2019 2:41 PM
OR Team Member Joined Aug, 2019 1474 posts

That's... brilliant. Insane, but brilliant. :-0

Now I need to go somewhere quiet for a bit and ponder the meaning of life. :-)

We're planning on upgrading the triggers so you won't have to do screwy stuff like this. But for now that's not actually a bad scheme. Might potentially cause some confusion with your API connections if you have any.

Lydia B
Oct 21, 2019 3:05 PM
Joined May, 2019 159 posts

Hahaaa! I'm OK with insane! But, it would be nice to have at least one field or criteria that was totally controlled by owners so we can do things like this.

Janice T
Oct 21, 2019 11:12 PM
Joined Mar, 2016 63 posts

Lydia B said:

There's probably a better way, but I have a similar situation and did a work-around as follows:

I write my email template for the special group of guests.
I do not permit pets, so my bookings will always show "0" in the number of pets field. For my special group of guests I go into their booking and change the "number of pets" field to 17.
I set up a trigger for that email. As part of the trigger I say to use the Booking Field "Number of Pets" is "Greater Than" 10. (I set it at 10 on the off chance I permit someone to bring a pet for some reason.)
My emails go out to this special group without my having to send them individually.

I know it's goofy, but it works. Hahahaaaa! Can't wait to hear how to do it the right way. :)

This is genius, Lydia!! I'm thinking of ways I can implement your method.

Valerie R
Oct 22, 2019 12:28 PM
Joined Sep, 2019 119 posts

I'd love to see the ability to add a custom field to bookings so that we can run reports to see those pieces of information. I'd use them for things like:

*Owner expense
*ETA (expected arrival time for guests)