Experience the difference of "Elite".

Payment via Check

Tracy P
Aug 13, 2019 3:12 PM
Joined Jul, 2019 18 posts

Good Day,

I am old school and have lots of guests who pay by check thus keeping my payment processing fees down. I would still like to encourage all guests to pay via check and don't know if there is a way to do this since i also accept paypal. Any tips on how to handle this?

Thank you.

Paul W
Aug 13, 2019 7:25 PM
OR Team Member Joined Jun, 2009 826 posts

Yes, you can accept checks and you can also surface that as an option online for quotes or Book Now on your website. Go to Settings > Payment Methods and scroll down to the bottom and connect a Check method. This will let you fill in where to send the check, instructions, etc. Then notice on the property rules, that you set how many days in advance the booking has to be to accept checks. This is important because if it's a last minute booking, you may not want to accept checks.

Tim K
Aug 13, 2019 10:17 PM
Joined Jul, 2017 72 posts

Depending on where you are, you may be allowed to charge a fee for credit card payments (California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma and Texas—and Puerto Rico prohibit passing these fees on to customers). My guests are mostly check payments but I offer credit card at an additional 3%. Owner Rez let's you automatically add a surcharge if the guest chooses credit card as the payment option. On the flip side, if you are in one of those states you are still allowed to offer a discount for other payment methods. In this case you could raise your rates about 3% and then offer a 3% discount for check payments.