Experience the difference of "Elite".

Remote lock subscription

Sarah H
Aug 12, 2019 11:01 PM
Joined Jul, 2019 109 posts

Is there a need for the remote lock subscription? What value does that offer if we just want the functionality of changing door code?
https://www.remotelock.com/edgestate-pricing

Any experience with the subscription?

BlueMtnCabins
Aug 13, 2019 11:33 AM
Joined Jun, 2016 1115 posts

I personally use erentallock. no need for hubs, subscription etc. One time purchase cost.

ShenRent
Aug 13, 2019 7:31 PM
Joined Dec, 2009 54 posts

RemoteLock themselves also have a time-based lock that does not require internet access or paying the monthly subscription. However... be careful. I've been burned personally on one of their models and started switching back to eRL.

Sarah H
Oct 10, 2019 9:35 PM

Well heck, I just order these Remote Locks. What was the issue you had? I bought one, tested it at home for a while (not the API, just the regular functionality of assigning and deleting codes manually), then I bought 7 of them.

ShenRent
Oct 11, 2019 10:58 AM
Joined Dec, 2009 54 posts

On the time-based lock, I had the keypad go bad multiple times over a 1-2 year period. They asked for us to send video, which we did. Certain numbers (like 2 or 3) on the keypad would not work whatsoever. You had to mash your fingernail in it super hard or even use a nail or something sharp and strong and eventually even that stopped working. So we sent videos. They sent a keypad replacement. It worked briefly then started having the same issues. After a bunch more back and forth, they sent an entire new lock. That stopped working after a few more months. They sent a third and that, later in the year, also had the same issues. I asked them if it was a bad batch or what all happened and never go anything but standard CSR boilerplate. In the end, we ate the $300 lock and switched over to eRL. I get the feeling that RemoteLock mainly wants to push their internet/Wifi locks and monthly subscriptions, not the older style time based ones.

Sarah H
Oct 11, 2019 5:55 PM

OK - I am purchasing the WiFi locks... not sure if that is the same. I will update the experience. So far, getting in touch with help took a minute, but they were very helpful once on the line.

Sarah H
Dec 14, 2020 6:23 PM

I now have 16 locks from RemoteLock - I used the Edgestate locks and am getting the "your lock is out of warranty" just in time... about 18 months later, I believe warranty is 12 months. Pretty disappointing, I guess being asked for $25 for a part when I have a reasonable reoccurring bill with them. The billing is a real pain also. I can't tell when a lock's plan is up for renewal. So for example, I can't see when the lock in question was actually installed.

I am not aware of a better service. I have seen great improvement in using the app and in the customer service but when I was at the remote location this weekend, I knew there was no way I would actually get to speak with somebody to help me. They have great staff when you can get them on the phone, but reliably of the lock itself is now becoming a concern. I have 16 locks so, it's not exactly a small investment. Anyone have better experience with a different vendor?

Sarah H
Dec 15, 2020 2:12 PM

Received a call today that worked out the replacement of the part. It was about 45 days out of warranty, very appreciated. When you get folks on the phone, they are very helpful.

Manager
Apr 21, 2023 6:47 PM
Joined Mar, 2017 12 posts

Hello Blue Mt., are you still using this lock company? Are you still happy with it?