Experience the difference of "Elite".

Don't call me!!

JTVRs
Jul 4, 2019 8:32 PM
Joined Jun, 2018 385 posts

Okay, as I may have said, the two people who instant booked, also called me by phone. The guy said booking.com encouraged them to call! So they decided to have a chat! For Heaven's Sake, I'm at work and I can't. Don't these people have jobs?

Is the purpose of instant booking so I don't have to talk to everyone as nauseum? The second guy called me six times and I messaged centered him over and over and over that I only use the booking.com Communication channel.

Anyway, I'm planning to get a Google voice type phone number that answers as follows. I would appreciate any tweaks you might have that could improve it.

"Thanks for calling XYZ Vacation Rentals. For booking questions, contact customer service of the website you booked through. For property questions, we use only their message center; your confirmation email or logged in account with them should allow you to send us a message. Note that the phone number you just called cannot accept voicemail."

BlueMtnCabins
Jul 5, 2019 12:39 PM
Joined Jun, 2016 1115 posts

I would suggest creating a "FAQ" and "what is provided and what to bring" pages on your website and refer them there.

Example:
https://smoky-mountains-cabin.com/faq
https://smoky-mountains-cabin.com/suggestions
https://smoky-mountains-cabin.com/rules
Even better, automate your messages (OR welcome email that has all the above info sent to them upon booking). Eliminates 90% of all calls.
P.S. You are the 1st person I come across who does not want to talk to potential renters. I am not thrilled about it, but I view it as a way to dispel potential misconceptions and avoid unmet expectations.

JTVRs
Jul 5, 2019 5:30 PM

This was off my listing site, not my website. Last guy called me six times. And I'm not really comfortable waiting my website at someone you just came from a listing site cuz I don't want to get delisted. Booking.com they both said encouraged them to call me even though the instant book not what I want.

They're calling me while I'm at work and I can't talk to them.

BlueMtnCabins
Jul 6, 2019 11:50 PM

JTVRs said:

And I'm not really comfortable waiting my website at someone you just came from a listing site cuz I don't want to get delisted. Booking.com they both said encouraged them to call me even though the instant book not what I want.

They're calling me while I'm at work and I can't talk to them.

I understand about being at work and not wanting to talk. But what I do not understand is why would you be delisted for answering guy's questions (by pointing him to your FAQ page)? BDC is not vrbo. They don't care, obviously, since they provide your phone to the guy.

BlueMtnCabins
Jul 6, 2019 11:51 PM

especially after they booked.

JTVRs
Jul 7, 2019 11:10 AM

Some listing sites recommend only using their communication channel, to discourage guests from trying to cancel and direct book with owner to cut out listing site commission. Accepting such an arrangement risks owner getting delisted.

Also, having everything recorded on their communication channel helps prevent guests who things like threatening a bad review if not getting a discount or refund and other things. This is discussed a lot on other forums i follow.

If I wanted to screen guests, and have a B7B owner type long chats, I wouldn't be doing the instant book route. But someone calling me 6 times because he ignored my constant requests to use the communication channel is annoying.