Experience the difference of "Elite".

Recommendations on a smart lock?

SunshineVilla
Jun 1, 2019 10:15 AM
Joined Mar, 2019 3 posts

Hello,
I'm looking to upgrade an "unconnected" keypad deadbolt with a connected deadbolt that integrates with Owner Rez. Does anyone have any recommendations on manufacturer and Model? I'll need some sort of connectivity obviously, should I go towards wifi/zwave/zigbee/all of the above?
Thanks in advance for the opinions!
Kent

JTVRs
Jun 1, 2019 5:39 PM
Joined Jun, 2018 385 posts

I use erentallock. I dont want any dependency on wifi or power if it goes down and the guest is stuck outside. If you get it, get the slightly more expensive lock. Ask them the reason!

Chris Hynes
Jun 1, 2019 5:56 PM
OR Team Member Joined Oct, 2012 1400 posts

Yep, it's a tradeoff for sure. eRentalLock is nice because you can generate the codes automatically in OwnerRez (based on the algorithm) but it doesn't require a Wifi connection. I use that at a couple of my properties and it's been rock solid.

The other one I'd recommend if you do want Wifi is RemoteLock. The nice thing about Wifi is you can see the access log dynamically. And most of them are pretty safe for guests because the codes are programmed in advance. So as long as the code is programmed, even if Wifi is down at the time the guest arrives they will still be able to enter based on that already programmed code.

I wrote up a bunch more about the details and tradeoffs of different lock types here: https://www.ownerrez.com/blog/encyclopedia-of-vacation-rental-smart-locks

SunshineVilla
Jun 2, 2019 7:20 PM
Joined Mar, 2019 3 posts

Thanks for the feedback all! I read the guide and decided to roll the dice on a wifi deadbolt from RemoteLock. I had the same reservations as JVTR, so I'll let you know if I regret it once it's up and running!

Paul W
Jun 5, 2019 12:53 PM
OR Team Member Joined Jun, 2009 825 posts

I'm coming around to the Wifi locks myself. I currently only have algorithmic locks (no internet required) and they just work and work which is good, but the Wifi lock is really cool - you have see exactly when people arrive and stop codes from working if needed. Most Wifi locks will re-check every 15 minutes if there is a service issue and catch up on updates. So your internet has to be really lousy for the lock not to work on a regular basis.

JTVRs
Jun 5, 2019 2:17 PM
Joined Jun, 2018 385 posts

I live within a block, so not a big deal. I also have a handyman cleaner who can back me up. The erental lock it's about 330 and that seemed to be about my price point. I don't really want $550 locks or whatever. But it seems like there is a space for a competitor to come in for maybe a hundred fifty and wipe out the super expensive guys. Heck, even a basic code door lock is a hundred or more. Wish I had the bucks to compete