Experience the difference of "Elite".

How to define Field Codes

Julie M
May 27, 2019 2:05 PM
Joined Jul, 2018 7 posts

Hey all!

I'm new to OR and trying to get my legal agreements set up, using OR's wonderful default agreement as my foundation. However, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to define the field codes. For example:

"If the booking is made more than {BSPDAY} days in advance of the arrival date, a payment of {BFPPOA} is taken by Owner at the time of the booking."

How/where do I define that BSPDAY should be 30 and BFPPOA should be 50% (or whatever)? Do I need to create them all in the Custom Field Definitions panel?

Thank you!

JTVRs
May 27, 2019 6:30 PM
Joined Jun, 2018 385 posts

I would suggest you not to swallow around one Topic at a time. You should consider going through the following link topic by topic. You might not need the quote stuff.

Otherwise you might encounter a dozen other things you cannot do or might miss out on.

There is also a search area on top that might help.

https://www.ownerrez.com/support

Paul W
May 27, 2019 8:23 PM
OR Team Member Joined Jun, 2009 825 posts

Hi Julie,

Great question. All the field codes - the main list of default field codes - come from rates, rules and settings already in OwnerRez. In the case of first payment amount and when the second payment is due, look at the property rules. Open and property > Rules tab> Change button and look at the First Payment and Second Payment section. What you put there defines what will render out in those field codes.

And here's a support article for all the field codes in OwnerRez and what they are:

https://www.ownerrez.com/support/articles/field-codes

Julie M
May 27, 2019 8:28 PM
Joined Jul, 2018 7 posts

Thanks so much, Paul and JTVRs! I did search extensively before I posted my query, but did not see anything that answered my question. However, it does appear that I got ahead of myself - now I'm just going to go through my setup in order. :)

JTVRs
May 27, 2019 9:31 PM
Joined Jun, 2018 385 posts

There is a lot more than just field codes involved to use the full power of Ownerreservations. The full set of provided templates and triggers, making custom ones such as a welcome letter. The agreement and sending it out and collecting signatures. hosted websites which I highly recommend for several reasons. channel bridge, effectively filling out the entire profile for each property (there is a lot more than just the description!). Pricelabs/dynamic pricing. working with the listing sites. Dealing with quotes, bookings or instant booking. Trip insurance for guests. guest emails. pricing. updates. pictures. reviews. taxes. reports. etc.

That is why I suggested that support link. It will lead you to a lot of stuff including things you might not have considered.

go to each menu item on the top of the booking area. look at and study each carefully.

Some wander through here with blank stares.

This is a powerful utility, but only if you read everything thoroughly several times and grasp it and use fully.

I am on about my 4th gyration, as I was delayed in starting my properties due to buying a second multifamily.

Chris and Paul and several regulars on the forum can answer questions. Chris and Paul are great - they even told me so! *wink*

Jared
Mar 23, 2021 3:53 PM
Joined Jan, 2020 3 posts

Is there a recommended replacement of that text (from section 4 of the template) if you require 100% payment upfront? I recently noticed that I was getting some typos in my rental agreement, because I left this clause in there, but I require 100% upfront. So there was no value for BSPDAY and it confused a guest.

Paul W
Mar 23, 2021 4:20 PM
OR Team Member Joined Jun, 2009 825 posts

Jared said:

Is there a recommended replacement of that text (from section 4 of the template) if you require 100% payment upfront? I recently noticed that I was getting some typos in my rental agreement, because I left this clause in there, but I require 100% upfront. So there was no value for BSPDAY and it confused a guest.

You can take out that clause (or that sentence with the {BSPDAY} field code) and write anything you want.

In fact, if you always take 100%, you could just rewrite that first sentence to say:

"A full payment of the entire booking total is taken by Owner at the time of the booking."

And not even use field codes. Field codes should be used when there's variability in how you do things between different properties, owners or bookings.

However, they also help keep your agreements and templates correct when your settings change. For instance, if you do what I just suggested and then change your first payment to 50%, the agreement would still say "a full payment of the entire booking total" instead of switching to 50%.

I looked at how you have it now and it looks good. 👍

Jared
Mar 23, 2021 7:10 PM
Joined Jan, 2020 3 posts

For everyone's benefit (if anyone stumbles onto this thread, like I did), this is what I settled on for now. It seems to work well as best as I can tell:

"4. A payment of {BFPPOA} is taken by Owner at the time of the booking. If the payment fails for any reason, it is the responsibility of the Guest to make sure that the remaining balance is promptly paid in full, or the reservation will be canceled with no refund of payments made.  All policies contained in this Agreement shall apply equally to payments made by credit card, check or cash and whether made via website, by phone or in person. Any refunds due to Guests from a credit card payment will be refunded by credit card transaction; all other refunds will be made within 30 days by check."

Admin T
Oct 3, 2023 8:40 AM
Joined Sep, 2023 2 posts

can someone help me know what is the field code for "platfform", this is my template

Hi {CFIRST},

It was a pleasure hosting you in {PDISPNAME}. We will certainly be leaving you a great review for your stay and I hope you have more great trips with "platform".

-{MYFIRST}

thank you in advance

Bri
Oct 3, 2023 8:47 AM
OR Team Member Joined Mar, 2022 44 posts

can someone help me know what is the field code for "platfform", this is my template

Hi {CFIRST},

It was a pleasure hosting you in {PDISPNAME}. We will certainly be leaving you a great review for your stay and I hope you have more great trips with "platform".

-{MYFIRST}

thank you in advance

by Admin T – Oct 3, 2023 12:40 PM (UTC)

It sounds like you'll want to use {BSOURCE}, which will insert the name of the listing site / channel that the guest booked on. This Field Code can be inserted into any Booking type Template.

Here's an overview of OwnerRez Field Codes, as well as a video linked at the top that you may find helpful - https://www.ownerrez.com/support/articles/field-codes

Admin T
Oct 3, 2023 9:08 AM
Joined Sep, 2023 2 posts

Thanks for the info! 👍 will do the template now ;)