Experience the difference of "Elite".

Rental agreement - is there a way to make guest initial every page or important paragraph?
(page 1 )

BlueMtnCabins
May 13, 2019 2:47 PM
Joined Jun, 2016 1115 posts

There was a post in Say No to VRBO group about owner taking Airbnb guests to court over contract violation. Her contract was found to supersede Airbnb's perhaps because she had is not only signed but every page initialed. So, is there a way to make guest initial every page of rental agreement (or even more specifically, important paragraphs within it)? TIA

JTVRs
May 13, 2019 6:50 PM
Joined Jun, 2018 385 posts

Would definitely like to see that

Also, my understanding is that cancellation verbiage should be at the BOTTOM of the contract near the signatures

BlueMtnCabins
May 14, 2019 10:13 AM

JTVRs said:

Would definitely like to see that

Also, my understanding is that cancellation verbiage should be at the BOTTOM of the contract near the signatures

I have it as a custom field where they have to initial to acknowledge on the check out form even before they get into the agreement itself.

Paul W
May 15, 2019 1:50 PM
OR Team Member Joined Jun, 2009 825 posts

Some discussion going on on this side in recent weeks about renter agreements... All design at this point - not scheduled for dev - but we'd like to do the following:

- make the guest pick a signature font up front like DocuSign and HelloSign do
- have them agree, when picking their sig, that they agree to an eSign process
- add legal "callouts" that they first read which are plain text paragraphs that are each of the main bullet points that stand out: cancellation, pets, extra guests... all the important stuff
- they have to check, initial or both to all of these
- the entire agreement is then rendered with the callout bullets in the middle and their intials on it as an image
- they have to "slide down" the page and sign each page and/or the very bottom
- add a final metadata page about the booking, guest and dates. We've seen where DocuSign, HelloSign and the others do this. It helps formalize the chain of events

We believe this would vastly improve the RA's. Thoughts?

BlueMtnCabins
May 15, 2019 2:26 PM

Yes yes. Even if without the signature using fancy fonts, but where it makes them to do some ACTION on important paragraphs (such as type in initials etc). So if that can be done 1st, and other features introduced gradually, that would help. I did create a custom field where they have to initial to agree to a one-sentence "no pets" and "no refunds withing 60 days", but there are other important things (like hot tub) which are simply impossible to handle as custom fields.

make the guest pick a signature font up front like DocuSign and HelloSign do << nice to have
- have them agree, when picking their sig, that they agree to an eSign process << must have
- add legal "callouts" that they first read which are plain text paragraphs that are each of the main bullet points that stand out: cancellation, pets, extra guests... all the important stuff << not sure what that looks like
- they have to check, initial or both to all of these << must have
- the entire agreement is then rendered with the callout bullets in the middle and their intials on it as an image
- they have to "slide down" the page and sign each page and/or the very bottom << must have
- add a final metadata page about the booking, guest and dates. << nice to have

We've seen where DocuSign, HelloSign and the others do this. It helps formalize the chain of events
I have used Signnow (cudasign) and I could insert the spots where they were forced to enter number of adults/ kids. I had the initials required on bottom of each page.

I am currently handling adults /kids via custom form fields. the reason for having that is: a) imports sometimes come from OTAs with 0 in that field 2) some people when they use OTA (or even my website widget), only put default minimum (like 1 or 2 people) when in reality they have 12 ; and 3) one more check that they are not over occupancy (which many OTAs encourage).

JTVRs
May 15, 2019 10:21 PM

I am all for it.

I have seen in two places that the cancellation verbiage should be at the BOTTOM of the page near signature. This appears to relate to enforceability. It shouldn't be buried within the body of the agreement.

JTVRs
May 15, 2019 10:24 PM

As always, when I try to edit my post several minutes later, it is rejected with an error.

I was trying to say "I assume this will work smoothly even if we did a lot of surgery on the contents of the default agreement?"

Chris Hynes
May 16, 2019 1:06 PM
OR Team Member Joined Oct, 2012 1400 posts

Yep, it'll be based on whatever template you use, and you'll be able to add your own callout sections.

Our Happy Place
Jul 6, 2020 9:32 PM
Joined Jul, 2019 1 post

Yes please!!

cp9293
Jul 8, 2020 9:27 AM
Joined Apr, 2012 395 posts

Great! Looking forward To this. I remember, way back, when I asked you guys to have them go the the Rental Agreement Page and sign before they moved to the payment. Wish I could help more again. Taking care of my 5 year old granddaughter is very t8me consuming. You guys are doing a GREAT job! Thank you for your continued work. Very fortunate to have you all!

BlueMtnCabins
Jul 9, 2020 11:29 AM

Paul W said:

Some discussion going on on this side in recent weeks about renter agreements... All design at this point - not scheduled for dev - but we'd like to do the following:

- make the guest pick a signature font up front like DocuSign and HelloSign do
- have them agree, when picking their sig, that they agree to an eSign process
- add legal "callouts" that they first read which are plain text paragraphs that are each of the main bullet points that stand out: cancellation, pets, extra guests... all the important stuff
- they have to check, initial or both to all of these
- they have to "slide down" the page and sign each page and/or the very bottom
- add a final metadata page about the booking, guest and dates. We've seen where DocuSign, HelloSign and the others do this. It helps formalize the chain of events

We believe this would vastly improve the RA's. Thoughts?

absolutely! This will eliminate most of "we thought" emails. " we thought" your cancellation policy is 30 days (when they signed and it is 60), "we thought" you will refund ("where it says no refunds), etc etc. Cannot wait! I have several areas that absolutely require initial (such as fire-sprinkler system, hot tub addendum, no pets, etc). Thus will vastly improve the flow and I will not have to have custom fields upfront.

BlueMtnCabins
Nov 2, 2020 10:54 AM

Just checking on any updates. Tx

Ken T
Nov 2, 2020 11:55 AM
OR Team Member Joined Aug, 2019 1472 posts

Nope - we still plan to overhaul the rental agreements in the future, but don't have an ETA yet.

Donna M
Nov 2, 2020 5:12 PM
Joined Sep, 2017 38 posts

Ken T said:

Nope - we still plan to overhaul the rental agreements in the future, but don't have an ETA yet.

So in the meantime, what are your recommendations for those of us who are facing added restrictions, regulation, and community intimidation suggesting that our guests are oblivious to the contract which must have specific items related to noise and pets included? If you are unable to manage this within your system is there an API that allows us to send through DocuSign or others a separate more involved contract that you are able to host at the moment?

joelle m
Nov 3, 2020 1:23 AM
Joined Oct, 2020 13 posts

I am the owner referenced in the first message who had to file an FED against an AirBnB guest who refused to leave the property and was staying with unauthorized and unidentified additional occupant in my unit as non-paying guests.
Luckily, I had a full signed contract with initials on each page as well next to important clauses. This established without a doubt that I had a contract with the individual who rented my property and that all information and rules were disclosed prior to checking-in.
The judge pointed the initials out in his ruling. I therefore really want to be able to continue this practice since I tested it in a court of law and know that it helped me win my case.
Now that I am using Owerrez for my bookings, how do you suggest I proceed to still obtain a similar signed contract from my guest? Continue using my 'external' option or is there a way to format the contract in a similar fashion through this software?
I also really need my guests to be able to type information themselves in the contract.
Thank you for your advice.

Ken T
Nov 3, 2020 8:52 AM

There's a workaround that has been covered pretty extensively in the Facebook group "Unofficial Ownerrez Support Group." Basically, you have to go in and set up Custom Field Definitions. Those fields need to be marked as a "Required Entry" during quote acceptance so they will show up when the guest is sent the form to sign the Rental Agreement. You set up a Custom Field for each clause. Give the Facebook group a look and then let everyone know what we can do to help. Also, this Forum exchange might help: https://www.ownerrez.com/forums/general-help/help-with-required-fields-in-rental-agreement

cp9293
Nov 3, 2020 9:05 AM
Joined Apr, 2012 395 posts

Hi Ken,

How does this work with integrated API, regarding Vrbo?

Ken T
Nov 3, 2020 9:24 AM

It doesn't make any difference - guests use the same OwnerRez system for signing agreements, regardless of how you get them.

joelle m
Mar 27, 2021 2:35 PM
Joined Oct, 2020 13 posts

I am following up on this.
i now have a PHO covid affidavit that my guests have to agree to and sign prior to checking-in. (a county requirement).
I would like to request ownerrez to consider developing options so that contracts can not only be signed by the guest but also information provided by the guest within the contract.
I know we can use fields at booking and collect all this information and then use the information to populate contracts and documents, but this is very cumbersome, since information is only needed in this affidavit.
I currently am using another software to generate such contracts but hate to pay such a hefty yearly subscription for something that is not complete. Thank you for considering.

Paul W
Mar 29, 2021 3:30 PM
OR Team Member Joined Jun, 2009 825 posts

Hi Joelle, thanks for the feedback We have discussed our RA signing process several times internally and have some major changes planned. Just no ETA yet or scheduled time when it will be done yet.