Experience the difference of "Elite".

Marriot is getting into the home rental space!

JTVRs
Apr 29, 2019 9:32 AM
Joined Jun, 2018 385 posts

Marriot is getting into the home rental space! But I couldn't determine whether that is open to other owners or only property managers or only houses that Marriot itself will buy and offer:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90341340/report-marriott-is-getting-into-the-home-rental-gig-to-take-on-airbnb

Paul W
May 2, 2019 9:34 AM
OR Team Member Joined Jun, 2009 825 posts

Not surprising. Everyone in travel is licking their chops for vacation rentals. Only a few like Booking.com have managed to make it work. It takes a lot of time and capital, and I don't think they realize just how much. They say it as just "adding VRs like hotel rooms" to their current model. VRs are not hotels and take different options, presentation, payment structures and management.

JTVRs
May 2, 2019 3:17 PM
Joined Jun, 2018 385 posts

True. They tested in Europe has several hundred vacation rentals, and it looks like they will be doing about 2,000 homes in the United States. Really a very minor play but it is always nice to have someone competing with the OTAs.

I would love for eBay and Amazon to jump aboard in a major way with perhaps a lot lower commissions for hosts/guests. And a lot less control over the hosts