Experience the difference of "Elite".

Airbnb sync issues
(page 1 )

Stacy S
Apr 20, 2019 5:43 PM
Joined Feb, 2019 31 posts

I received a warning OwnerRez email that Airbnb bookings that had previously been synced are now missing (on the Airbnb side.) However, nothing has changed on that calendar and my bookings are still intact. Is there an issue with the API?

Thanks!

Chris Hynes
Apr 20, 2019 6:46 PM
OR Team Member Joined Oct, 2012 1400 posts

Earlier today, Airbnb rolled out a change to their calendar feeds that removed all information except for the dates. Name, email, and phone have been removed, which is why OwnerRez interpreted that as missing and sent the notification email.

We rolled out an update to handle the new format a bit ago, so you won't see any new "missing" emails from this issue.

I'd recommend contacting your Airbnb rep to register a complaint -- removal of contact info from iCal is a huge step backward in functionality for Airbnb.

In the meantime, you can populate all of the same contact info and send create triggers as you did via iCal using our channel bridge tool: https://www.ownerrez.com/support/articles/channel-bridge. That uses a direct log-in to your Airbnb account so it's not affected by the missing info in Airbnb's new iCal format.

Pedro T
Apr 20, 2019 7:38 PM
Joined Nov, 2017 49 posts

Chris, please clarify: AirBnB removed contact info from the iCal export? Is Ownerrez no longer able to send messages to AirBnB guests without the channel bridge?

Chris Hynes
Apr 20, 2019 10:14 PM

OwnerRez can still send messages to Airbnb guests via the @guest.airbnb.com email if it's on the booking. The difference is that that email address no longer comes in via the iCal. Now it'll work the same way VRBO does -- once you populate the info via channel bridge, it'll send the create triggers and then any subsequent emails will still go out automatically (since the email will be on file).

Pedro T
Apr 20, 2019 11:04 PM

So we MUST now do the channel bridge thing for messages to get sent to AirBnB guests, is that correct?

Marina's Edge Re
Apr 21, 2019 12:27 AM
Joined Oct, 2012 206 posts

Any plans on automating the Channel Bridge Import process? Would be awesome if it just happened seamlessly then all this would just go away :)

North Bend Escap
Apr 21, 2019 3:31 PM
Joined Dec, 2018 26 posts

We had set up an automated greeting email which went out to Airbnb guest's platform email whenever a booking came in. I just did a test booking to see how it works now. When the booking first syncs with OR, it comes into the OR calendar with just the OR booking number and 0 for the number of guests. The calendar is properly blocked off. I did channel bridge to get the double blind guest email to communicate with. Unfortunately the trigger didn't send out the greeting email automatically after I did channel bridge. Is there a setting which will make that happen or will we have to manually go in and send the greeting message from the booking?

North Bend Escap
Apr 21, 2019 4:45 PM
Joined Dec, 2018 26 posts

Previously I was sending the greeting when the booking was created. If I change (the Airbnb one only) to be triggered on the event "When booking payment is added", will that cause it to be sent when the channel bridge is run?

Randy

Paul W
Apr 21, 2019 5:32 PM
OR Team Member Joined Jun, 2009 825 posts

Hi everyone, we wrote a blog post about this here:

https://www.ownerrez.com/blog/airbnb-bookings-no-longer-showing-guest-name-phone-and-email

Adria
Apr 21, 2019 7:36 PM
Joined Jan, 2018 19 posts

Pedro, you can just manually enter the name and contact details to get initial emails sent, like we have to do with VRBO. Talk about a dumb step backwards on ABB!

Paul W
Apr 22, 2019 1:44 PM

It appears that - at least for the moment - the guest info is showing again in the Airbnb calendar feeds. Maybe they were testing the waters to see what the backlash would be? 😉

Pedro T
Apr 22, 2019 3:47 PM

Hi Paul & Chris,
I'm glad this was resolved. Thank you for keeping on top of it.
You guys are working on an API connection with AirBnB, is that correct? How is that looking?
If this occurs in the future the only option will be the channel bridge, which requires the property management module with an additional fee, is that correct?

Thanks again.

Chris Hynes
Apr 25, 2019 7:23 PM

Yep, we're in talks with Airbnb for the API connection -- just need partnership approval from them to move things forward.

Channel bridge is part of the channel management module which is $10 + $1/property per month. That includes all of the channel integrations -- API integrated channels (HomeAway, booking.com, TripAdvisor, CanadaStays) as well as the channel bridge for Airbnb and HomeAway.

JTVRs
Apr 25, 2019 8:53 PM
Joined Jun, 2018 385 posts

Ok for those of us planning (soon) to use hosted websites for direct booking, how does all the information for guests get collected? Is it in the same format and methods as if it were from an OTA? Or some differences in behavior and method?

I mean the responsible party, the booking record, the agreement signing, the payment schedule, deposit, travel insurance, communication with guests, Etc?

Chris Hynes
Apr 26, 2019 8:13 PM

For direct booking, everything will be captured in OwnerRez automatically on the booking -- no sync or extra signature process after the booking is received because it handles all of that in the quote reservation process.

Sarah H
Jul 13, 2019 2:52 PM
Joined Jul, 2019 109 posts

I didn't realize airbnb didn't provide an email. The triggers are sent to the '@airbnb' email then right? Is it recommended to request a real email address? Is that possible?

BlueMtnCabins
Jul 14, 2019 10:18 PM
Joined Jun, 2016 1115 posts

Email gets to them. I set up trigger when booking arrives, to send them "please sign rental agreement" email. In the process of e-signing RA, OR collects their actual email, phone, address etc

Paul W
Jul 16, 2019 5:24 PM

Here's an example of what many users have in their House Rules on Airbnb:

"We supply our own renter agreement and waiver that you must sign after booking on Airbnb. We're happy to provide a copy prior to booking. You must provide a real email address and phone after booking, so that we can contact you directly without messaging through Airbnb for important/emergency matters."

So that satisfies the Airbnb rules of notification. Once a guest books, you send them the signing link from OwnerRez (automatically by trigger) which collects their contact info and gets a signed renter agreement all in one go.

Stacy S
Jul 17, 2019 8:33 AM
Joined Feb, 2019 31 posts

My rules on my listings for both ABB and VRBO include "Must sign Gulf Lesson Rental Agreement within 72 hours of booking or reservation will be canceled." The triggered OR email link takes them right to the agreement and they have to provide email, physical address and phone number when signing that agreement. I've had zero push back and have had only a couple of people I had to prompt to get it signed. Most do it right away.

CélineG
May 25, 2020 10:27 AM
Joined Apr, 2020 4 posts

The Channel Bridge Import is not importing the Guests Name, guest, booking amounts etc since my last two bookings.
Was there another change Airbnb has done that would prevent this download?
Could you please check and let me know? Thanks!

I have the version 10.25.