Experience the difference of "Elite".

Smart Lock Generation Codes
(page 1 )

North Bend Escap
Feb 21, 2019 1:51 PM
Joined Dec, 2018 26 posts

We successfully tested a RemoteLock model LS-5i smart lock with OR. The code generated for the test booking was 10 digits. I believe that RemoteLock takes a code from between 4 and 10 digits. Can we control the number of digits in the code that OR generates? Suppose we wanted a 6 digit code instead of a 10 digit code?

Randy

JTVRs
Feb 21, 2019 5:13 PM
Joined Jun, 2018 385 posts

I use a different lock, but doesnt Remotelock enable you to select the length? This doesn't sound like something that ownerrez would determine. They are just integrating remote lock, not determining that kind of functionality?

Chris Hynes
Feb 22, 2019 11:25 AM
OR Team Member Joined Oct, 2012 1400 posts

We auto-set a 10 digit code always, but you can go into the booking and set a specific code like the last four of the guest phone.

We've got a to-do list item to let you set rules for shorter codes, but we keep them long for now to reduce collisions -- RemoteLock does not allow duplicate codes even if they are for different dates.

North Bend Escap
Feb 22, 2019 11:32 PM

We don't think having a customer entering a 10-digit code when they arrive at a new place and it's dark and raining.is a good experience. We'll need to manually set all the codes to 4 digits in which case the autogeneration doesn't buy us much. When do you expect autogeneration of 4-digit codes to be available?

Randy

JTVRs
Feb 23, 2019 12:50 PM

FWIW

I am not sure that the whole process just sending a code to the guests ahead of time is a good idea. I read recently that there is a scam now where people who plan to rob your place will book and get the code and then vandalize or steal items ahead of their booking time. Also not including people who are not what they claim to be who once they get in, you lose control.

My check-in plan is to have a ring video doorbell, that they have to contact me upon arrival. That enables me to see whether they brought too many people, try to sneak in pets, appear to be smoking, or are not the people they claim to be. In addition, it captures their image in case they try to do a chargeback and pretend it was not them who stayed. Or perhaps have not supplied government IDs or signed your legal agreement are there was supposed to. It also enables you to do card present if you so wish

Only when they seem to be proper will they receive the code from me!

Chris Hynes
Feb 23, 2019 5:49 PM

Gemstone Propert said:

We don't think having a customer entering a 10-digit code when they arrive at a new place and it's dark and raining.is a good experience. We'll need to manually set all the codes to 4 digits in which case the autogeneration doesn't buy us much. When do you expect autogeneration of 4-digit codes to be available?

Randy

Oh, so you want still random codes but just 4 digits?

@Ross - there's a middle ground there... I wouldn't send a door code upon booking but I like to send mine 7 days before arrival when they've already paid in full and are planning the trip. Some last minute thing via a video feed is too error prone and not scalable -- if wifi ever goes down or the guest's phone dies on the trip or any other number of reasons then you're stuck. Also if you've got more than a couple properties it's going to be a ton of work to monitor cameras and take calls.

North Bend Escap
Feb 23, 2019 5:54 PM

Yes, we would like random codes with just 4 digits. Ideally, the number of digits would be a settable number by us. I think Schlage locks might require 6. We send out our codes the night before arrival. Will eventually do it via automated email.

Randy

JTVRs
Feb 23, 2019 6:38 PM

That is just what I do. I have 7 properties, and the time that Guests show up to me is the most valuable time to vet and assist. Instructions are posted to contact us either via the Ring Video doorbell, or to call us if that is not operational.. Whether we use the doorbell or meet in person depends on availability and when they arrive.

Our neighbor (guesthouse) has them calling as they arrive, and meets them at the front door for a quick wqalkthrough.

We live in the large (5 unit) Property and are 1 block from our 2 unit Property.

If their phone is dead, we can talk via doorbell. If the doorbell does not work they can contact us. I agree you need two methods in case something goes wrong.

The Ring Video doorbell usually doesn't require monitoring. When they press the doorbell, it automatically calls you to initiate the session.If they show really late I would probably just provide

I also will be having an assistant to help with initial meet and greet, if I am not available.

Stacy S
Feb 25, 2019 4:46 PM
Joined Feb, 2019 31 posts

On this note, I thought my e-Rental Lock had to be 10 digits and then you can manually create a 4 - 6 digit code with it at the door after that's set. Are you saying the functionality, once enabled, will let us generate shorter codes? That would be great!

North Bend Escap
Feb 25, 2019 6:16 PM

We agree completely, that's what we would like to have also.

Randy

BlueMtnCabins
Feb 27, 2019 4:50 PM
Joined Jun, 2016 1115 posts

I send it 2 days prior to arrival. after balance has been paid and ID provided to me and rental agreement signed.

Paul W
Feb 27, 2019 6:14 PM
OR Team Member Joined Jun, 2009 825 posts

Stacy, the eRentalLock door locks are a bit different. Those only do the 10 digit codes and that's set by eRentalLock servers. We can't change that or shrink it to smaller digits. Btw, I personally use eRentalLock hardware and like them a lot. They don't run off Wifi so you're limited in what they can report back or have set, but they tend to last forever and be very simple once set up. I'll switch to Wifi at some point, but eRL ftw right now.

JTVRs
Feb 27, 2019 8:35 PM

I bought an erentallock based on some VR forum posters that pointed out there can be times that wifi can fail. Or the power can fail (which powers the wifi), etc. And that this is not dependent on either...

Stacy S
Feb 28, 2019 8:48 AM
Joined Feb, 2019 31 posts

I was wanting something that didn't have recurring fees but that was highly reliable, easy to use and wasn't reliant on wifi. eRentallock has been great for us so far as wifi internet isn't very reliable in the area of our rental. Even though you can't delete codes remotely and you have to be at the lock to create the shorter code, I'm still really happy with the system.

Paul W
Feb 28, 2019 9:16 AM
OR Team Member Joined Jun, 2009 825 posts

Yep - my thinking as well. The wifi tracking and all is nice, but there's never really a time when I need to rescind codes in the middle of a stay. I'd rather have something that just works, without internet, all the time.

BlueMtnCabins
Feb 28, 2019 11:44 AM

I purposely avoided wifi locks. In the mountains wifi is over satellite and not unlimited. Power outages happen too. I don't want to rely on the connection that can fail. having 10 digit code is a small inconvenience compared to other possibilities. I have a very good ownerrez template with illustration how to operate the erental lock. The only issue I had is not with guests but with some repairmen.

Tim
Feb 28, 2019 10:14 PM
Joined Oct, 2018 44 posts

I have the Schlage touch locks at my properties. They are z-wave not WiFi and they connect through a SmartThings hub. Really interested in exploring how to program a code for a guest and include it in an email autoresponder. SmartThings is very API-friendly and works with IFTTT too. Should be possible to integrate with OR. Was wondering if you are considering this integration.

Chris Hynes
Mar 2, 2019 10:07 AM

I see a lot of docs on SmartThings about how to create scenes and automations for a specific lock you own, but not much about how to make a generic app that could interact with any lock. Do you have any link to an info article on that? We'd need to be able to connect to their API from our servers, authorize into your specific account, and then start generating lock codes from there.

BlueMtnCabins
Mar 2, 2019 10:21 AM

Paul W said:

Yep - my thinking as well. The wifi tracking and all is nice, but there's never really a time when I need to rescind codes in the middle of a stay. I'd rather have something that just works, without internet, all the time.

exactly!

Tim
Mar 2, 2019 10:59 AM
Joined Oct, 2018 44 posts

I may start with this SmartThings app here and then learn about the integration. http://smartthings.rboyapps.com/#a5
I do a fair bit of amateur programming so perhaps once I learn a bit more I can pass you the information.
Besides lock code generation, I am keen to add thermostat control. i.e. Turn temp down once the motion sensor reports no movement for an hour on a departure date, lock the door in case they didn't, then on an arrival date turn the temp back up an hour or so before check-in time, that kind of thing.