Experience the difference of "Elite".

different lock codes for different properties

Medina Vacation
Jan 5, 2019 1:30 AM
Joined Jul, 2013 4 posts

I'm trying to personalize lock code email letters for different properties with out using any of the lock service. The same key code letter with the same code go to every listing. How do I separate each code for each listing.

Thank you,
Kelly

Chris Hynes
Jan 5, 2019 4:36 PM
OR Team Member Joined Oct, 2012 1400 posts

To vary up the lock code value per property, the thing to do is create a custom field for the lock code at the property level and then populate it with a different value for each property.

Then when working with your email template, use the Insert Field button to insert that custom field, and it'll be populated with the correct value for the property.

Here's an article that walks you through this process (and also some other stuff with triggers): https://www.ownerrez.com/support/articles/pre-arrival-email-templates-triggers-custom-fields

MB
Jan 9, 2019 1:36 PM
Joined Dec, 2018 23 posts

Just a quick THANK YOU for this feature. I've used other (more expensive) software that required me to create a new template for each property and for each communication that required property-specific info.

The custom field is life-changing and really sets OR apart.

Kudos.

Rich S
Jan 10, 2019 2:01 PM
Joined Dec, 2018 301 posts

Chris - I don't see how this can work ...

It looks like there can only be one value of the lock codes at any point in time per property. For this to be automated properly the field needs to be associated with the booking, so that I can create a value for keycodes for Property A on January 1st for a visit in March, and then created another value for Property A on January 10th for a visit in February, etc.

Maybe I'm missing something?

I personally am using Kaba and would like to have this integrated but that's not available yet, right?

So for now, I'd like to create key codes at the same time that I use channel bridge to import from VRBO and create the booking. That will of course happen in whatever sequence the bookings are imported. Then I'll use a trigger on the day before arrival to send the email. In case it's not clear, my keycodes get varied for each guest so that everyone knows that no one else can have codes that allow entry during their booked stay.

Rich S
Jan 10, 2019 2:20 PM

Chris - I also don't see how custom fields can work on a per-property basis either.

I just wanted to make different parking instructions per property. So that I can have a single Arrival Day Instructions where the custom field is replaced with the parking instructions appropriate for the guest's booking.

It doesn't seem like this is possible on a per-property basis either. Hopefully I'm missing something but even though there are different types of custom fields for booking or property it seems they all act like account level custom fields.

Chris Hynes
Jan 10, 2019 2:49 PM

If you want to go per booking, like a lock code that is unique per booking, then use a Booking type field definition. The per property field definition would be for a manual programmed lock where it's always the same.

Parking instructions that are different per property would be where you also want to use a Property type field definition.

So in this case, you would create one Booking type field definition called KABACODE or some such, populate that per booking, and then reference that in your arrival day instructions email.

Then create one Property type field definition called PARKINGINSTRUCTIONS, populate that per property, and then reference that in your arrival day instructions as well.

When the email template is sent, it'll look at the booking and property and substitute in the correct values for each.

Here's an article with step by step: https://www.ownerrez.com/support/articles/pre-arrival-email-templates-triggers-custom-fields

Rich S
Jan 10, 2019 3:10 PM

Okay - In hindsight it's obvious how this needs to work, and it works perfectly for both Booking and Property codes.

I just got confused when creating the custom field and not realizing that their values of course need to be entered from the property tab.

This is the point where the time savings is becoming really obvious, thanks for building the custom codes in a robust way !!

Chris Hynes
Jan 11, 2019 7:13 PM

Great!

FYI you can also populate the values for all properties at once in the detail section of the property field.