Experience the difference of "Elite".

Secdep via CC hold + insurance vs traditional damage deposit

BlueMtnCabins
Nov 23, 2018 12:55 PM
Joined Jun, 2016 1115 posts

I know this topic has been beaten to death. But, I am wondering if I can improve my bookings as it seems a lot of people do not realize that my quotes include REFUNDABLE damage deposit and quote may seem high compared to someone who charges insurance only or has secdep as Auth on CC.

Does anyone use Secdep as CC hold (vs to actually charging the card or receiving payment, and then refunding) + ARDI insurance?
I have never used Secdep as CC hold, how hard is it to charge any damage against it?

has anyone switched form using traditional damage deposit (collected amount) to CC hold secdep? has it increased your bookings?
My larger more luxury property has $500 damage deposit, and I am wondering if it is impeding my bookings. On the other hand, I do not want damages (who does), and actual damage deposit ius usally a good deterrent for that. any advice ? Tia. My cabins can be seen at bluemountaincabins.com

JTVRs
Nov 25, 2018 10:30 AM
Joined Jun, 2018 385 posts

Not started yet as I said, but i follow b&b + VR forums. I get the sense quite a few owners prefer it that way. And that it seems like not a security deposit to guests. Coupled with the fact traditional hotels/motels do this, FWIW

MY bigger concern once I start, is that some OTAs seem to make the security deposit into an ordeal and some VR owners have gotten delisted over minor attempts or misunderstandings trying to collect for damage.

And perhaps, using the credit card approach might invite more chargebacks?

I agree with Chris/Paul in using both traditional security deposit and I believe the damage deposit. Rather than trying to collect, it is discouraging damage in the first place. My legal agreement is harsh. I make it clear those who chargeback (friendly fraud/flippant) or deny their damage or vandalize, etc... face: entire party will be named in a court claim + face charges of theft by deception + all will be reported to all credit bureaus for nonpayment of bills. Of course, I would only bring this clause up with the nonpaying abusers...

BlueMtnCabins
Nov 26, 2018 9:20 AM

reason I am asking as I use traditional DD. so what happens is people being people do not look at quote carefully when thy do it online so then they comment something like "oh we did not expect it to be $2200" whereas in reality it is $1900 (plus $300 refundable DD). I get comments like that all the time and how many just abandon cart because they do not see that deposit is REFUNDABLE

Chris Hynes
Dec 2, 2018 8:15 AM
OR Team Member Joined Oct, 2012 1400 posts

Yep, this is one of the big things that we need to do -- update the quote and widget so it doesn't include the secdep in the total -- TI as well. That will clarify what's going on. We also have a dev cycle planned for additional payment criteria which would let you put the deposit in a separate payment (perhaps the first of 3) etc.

BlueMtnCabins
Jan 4, 2019 1:13 PM

Chris Hynes said:

Yep, this is one of the big things that we need to do -- update the quote and widget so it doesn't include the secdep in the total -- TI as well. That will clarify what's going on. We also have a dev cycle planned for additional payment criteria which would let you put the deposit in a separate payment (perhaps the first of 3) etc.

aaand.. this seems to have increase in importance now. I never had an issue with it o VRBO., however nowadays about 1/3 of my bookings are direct, I send inquirers to the website where I have embedded inquiry/quote form. And even though my damage deposit line item says in capital case REFUNDABLE, people either do not understand it and think the quote is too high. I get comments that "we are not paying $500 a night" well - it is because they do not understand that deposit amount should be subtracted from total as it is refundable...they just balk

Chris Hynes
Jan 4, 2019 7:06 PM
OR Team Member Joined Oct, 2012 1400 posts

Yep, we're working on it! Everything has to be rejiggered a bit so the numbers all add up.

We have released the TI update where guests can alter the amount, so that side is better now.

BlueMtnCabins
Jan 4, 2019 7:08 PM

yes noticed the TI:) Thanks

Wendy@A-List
Jan 8, 2019 9:46 AM
Joined Jun, 2012 32 posts

We do an authorized hold of $500 as a sec/dam deposit (put on cc 3 days before arrival) and it doesn't show up on our quote but is a note in my email and in the contract so not had any problems with this being a problem in the quote phase.
Has worked well for us.
Wendy