Experience the difference of "Elite".

Card processors' fees

K&T
Oct 9, 2018 4:10 AM
Joined Jun, 2018 4 posts

Is it common for processors to claim their commission even on refunded transactions?

It seems Stripe is now telling us they do precisely that.

If it turns out to be factual, they will soon cease to be our payment processor.

As we are based in Japan, our choice is limited to a certain extent. However, I can hear PayPal Payments Pro calling.

Other ideas will be gratefully received.

Chris Hynes
Oct 10, 2018 1:12 PM
OR Team Member Joined Oct, 2012 1400 posts

This depends on the processor. Most of them return at least the % fee on a refund.

Stripe used to always return fees on refunds, but in September 2017 they decided to change that. So if you have a Stripe account that signed up before September 2017 they'll return fees on refunds. After that and they won't. It's pretty standard to not refund the .30 per transaction flat fee, but I'm not sure why they would keep the entire 3% -- that's pretty stiff on a larger transaction. That's the default policy -- I've heard of some larger volume accounts getting that waived, but you'd have to contact Stripe support to see if there's anything they can do.

Sherene M
Oct 10, 2018 5:02 PM
Joined Jan, 2018 27 posts

Any plans to add Square in the future?

K&T
Oct 10, 2018 5:41 PM
Joined Jun, 2018 4 posts

Chris Hynes said:

This depends on the processor. Most of them return at least the % fee on a refund.

...I'm not sure why they would keep the entire 3% -- that's pretty stiff on a larger transaction...

Even stiffer where I am, at 3.6%, Chris.

I queried this early on in our short business relationship with Stripe, and a CS rep misinformed me that it would not be due on refunds.

Now when I go back to them with that, the reaction is to point us to the small print "stated on our website" blah blah.

I am pushing back, and whatever happens I foresee a new payment processor in the near future.

If a processor is not in the OR supported list, is it impossible to integrate them?

Chris Hynes
Oct 10, 2018 6:10 PM
OR Team Member Joined Oct, 2012 1400 posts

Damn! OK, well keep us posted on how that goes.

The processor support is tougher because of the currency requirements, and most of our processors are US based. Two things on processors integration...

#1 - A lot of processors that we don't integrate with directly can give you an Authorize.net or eProcessingNetwork gateway that we do integrate with. They may have their own gateway that they like to use by default, but they can set you up on an alternate gateway that we do support. Worth an ask at least.

#2 - We do sometimes add additional integrations. It's a decent amount of work, though, so we want to make sure that the processor supports the features we need, the API is fairly straightforward, and there will be a good amount of demand from other OwnerRez users.

BlueMtnCabins
Oct 12, 2018 3:21 PM
Joined Jun, 2016 1115 posts

In the US Stripe refunds everything but 30 cents