Experience the difference of "Elite".

How to "reset" a payment that OwnerRez thinks has already been paid in full?

Monica R
Sep 7, 2018 11:13 AM
Joined Feb, 2018 86 posts

Yesterday I sent out my very first payment request for a guest to click through and pay securely online. Yay! Very exciting and the guest said it was a "piece of cake" which is great! Trouble is, the link that the merchant processor had given me to send out was for someone else's merchant account. Zoinks.

So now, even though the processor has canceled his original payment and is waiting for him to RE-SUBMIT his payment information via my new link, the OwnerRez system won't let me send a second payment request because it thinks it's already been paid.

Is there a way to reset it so I can send a new payment request?

Thanks!

Chris Hynes
Sep 7, 2018 11:19 AM
OR Team Member Joined Oct, 2012 1400 posts

Ouch, that's not good!

So in OwnerRez, you can click on the payment and refund it -- all of those operations are available in OwnerRez without dropping to your merchant gateway account. You can also void it if it hasn't settled yet but it's probably too late for that if it happened yesterday.

However, it's likely that refund will error if they've already canceled the payment on their end. What's the booking number? I'll try doing a refund and if that doesn't work I will manually unhook the payment from the booking for you so you can send the new payment request.

Chris Hynes
Sep 7, 2018 11:22 AM

... actually, scratch that. There's a better way to do it that you can do yourself.

a) try a void and a refund on the payment. If that works, you're done. If not...
b) click "change details" and put a note on the payment about what happened (so you'll remember if it comes up later)
c) click Refunds on the Transactions tab of the booking and Record Refund (which will do a manual refund record). Set it as a "Credit Card Processed Elsewhere" type and put a note in there too

Once you record the refund, the booking will have a balance again and you can send the additional payment request.

Monica R
Sep 7, 2018 12:19 PM

Chris,
I appreciate your advice, and admittedly I'm super nervous about doing anything that has anything to do with a refund, because I don't want the cc processor to pull money out of my account to refund him, as his card was apparently never charged (by either myself or the other merchant).

Maybe I will just ask the guest to give me his cc info on the phone and I'll run it separately through my other payment processor and be done with it, just to avoid any unexpected technical glitches. Now that the processor has fixed the fact that I was attached to a different merchant account than my own (GAAAAH) that shouldn't happen again.

Thanks,
Monica

Chris Hynes
Sep 7, 2018 12:37 PM

If you're worried about any card refunds, just start from step (b) above -- step (b) and (c) are just recording a manual offset to note what happened so there is a balance due in OwnerRez again. Recording a refund won't actually process it -- that'd be the "Send a refund" option.

Monica R
Sep 7, 2018 11:48 PM

Thank you Chris. I just did what you said and it seemed to work, because when I tried to email the Request for Payments, and then I preview the email, it says the following:

"The total cost for this booking is $911.90 of which $911.90 has already been paid. Use the payment fields below to specify how much you're going to pay. If you're paying by credit card, you must confirm on the next page."

So that's weird. It's letting me do the payment request but the text says that it's already been paid. Sorry I can't show you a screen shot, but that text shows up in the green box in the body of the email right above the charges table.

Ideas? Thanks!

Chris Hynes
Sep 7, 2018 11:53 PM

I see it -- that's a bug, I've got it filed to fix.

However it's only affecting the text in the green box -- notice that you can now make the payment below.

Let the guest know to do it that way on the form (and ignore the green box) and we'll get that text fixed soon.

Monica R
Sep 7, 2018 11:56 PM

Sorry. It's NOT in the email request. My fault.

The erroneous text is on the webpage where the guest actually enters his credit card info.

Does that help clarify?

M.

Chris Hynes
Sep 8, 2018 12:20 AM

Yep, it was just a display issue in the text on the page, but the payment still works fine. Just pushed up a quick fix to show payments - refunds instead of just payments in that box (so it will now show $0 paid so far).