Experience the difference of "Elite".

Turning damage protection coverage on and off or changing tiers?

Monica R
Sep 6, 2018 2:22 PM
Joined Feb, 2018 86 posts

Hi all!
I am considering turning on the damage protection for my property however I would like to be able to turn it off later if I choose to, OR adjust the dollar amount tier up or down later.

Is this possible? Or is it a case where once I commit to turning it on, it can never be disabled?

And can I change the tiers? For example, if I want to start at $500 and then later increase it to $1500 worth of coverage can I do that?

Thanks!
Monica

Chris Hynes
Sep 6, 2018 11:08 PM
OR Team Member Joined Oct, 2012 1400 posts

Yep, you can turn damage protection on and off at any time or adjust the tiers as you want. When you turn it on it will apply to new bookings but not existing ones (although you can add it to existing ones if you want). Same thing on tier changes -- that'd apply for new bookings after you make the change, not any existing policies. If you turn it off entirely, you'd keep the policies you've already purchased and it wouldn't be applied to any new bookings.

Monica R
Sep 7, 2018 11:59 AM
Joined Feb, 2018 86 posts

A follow-up question... does Damage Protection apply to *every* booking ON MY CALENDAR even ones I enter manually to my calendar, and bookings that are imported from VRBO, etc?

Or does Damage Protection ONLY apply to the bookings that are actually processed and paid through OwnerRez?

Thanks for the clarity!

Monica

Chris Hynes
Sep 7, 2018 12:16 PM
OR Team Member Joined Oct, 2012 1400 posts

It applies to every direct booking. That's part of the arrangement with TravelGuard that allows us to offer low prices -- they've got to spread risk.

For calendar imported bookings, you can apply damage protection or not by changing the "Apply Damage Protection" toggle on each calendar import.

Linh W
Jan 16, 2024 8:44 PM
Joined Nov, 2023 1 post

So I have no way to turn off damange protection? 

Ken T
Jan 16, 2024 11:06 PM
OR Team Member Joined Aug, 2019 1472 posts

Sure, you can turn it off entirely, just not for individual bookings.

https://www.ownerrez.com/support/articles/damage-protection-overview

If you do have an individual booking for which the coverage is inappropriate, such as a relative staying at your property for free, you can reach out to the Helpdesk, and we can remove that coverage for you.

Adria H
Jan 16, 2024 11:06 PM
OR Team Member Joined Aug, 2022 119 posts

Hi Linh:

You can turn off damage protection for the entire account or exclude certain channels here:

https://secure.ownerrez.com/settings/damageprotection