Experience the difference of "Elite".

Having a Brain Fart re: adding images into an email template

Monica R
Mar 25, 2018 5:02 PM
Joined Feb, 2018 86 posts

I know I did this before and it was easy, but I accidentally deleted my image when re-working one of my templates, and now I can't remember how to add the image. I could swear I simply copy the link of the image that is already uploaded in my FILES section and then use the "add link" button in the visual editor, to add the image URL but when I do that, it doesn't work.

What am I forgetting?

Thanks!
Monica

Chris Hynes
Mar 26, 2018 7:02 AM
OR Team Member Joined Oct, 2012 1400 posts

You've got the right idea with add link, but there's no similar one for image yet on email templates, only legal agreements.

Send me the file and email template and I'll get the image added to the template for you.

Monica R
Mar 26, 2018 8:16 AM

Chris,
The thing is... you walked me through how to embed an image into an email template using the Files upload -- we did it on the phone -- and it did work when tested. I just can't seem to do it again. Unless YOU did it for me and I just wasn't aware that you had done it??

M.

Chris Hynes
Mar 26, 2018 8:27 AM

Yep, I think I magicked it in there for you. I'll look into adding the upload upgrade to email template editor this week.

In the meantime, let me know and I'll get it added. Or legal agreements have the new editor that you can upload files in directly. You can upload an image there, select the image and copy/paste it into the email template editor.

Chris Hynes
Apr 6, 2018 1:33 PM

OK, so this took a little longer than a week, mainly because we did a couple of other overhauls while we were at it :-D... search in insert fields dialog, live preview button.

Just released the new update!

Monica R
Apr 8, 2018 10:32 AM

That's awesome Chris! I'll go into the templates and play with the image upload function!

Thanks!
Monica

Monica R
Jun 28, 2018 12:26 PM

I just sent an email using a custom template and again the graphic shows up in the preview here on the OR site, but in the email it came through broken.

Unfortunately I didn't realize the graphic was broken until I saw *my copy* of the email in my inbox. So I have to assume the guest's image is broken too. I'd give you a screen shot but I don't see how to do that here. I don't think it's my settings (otherwise the preview image wouldn't be showing up right?) so I have no clue how to fix it.

Thanks,
Monica

Chris Hynes
Jun 28, 2018 12:32 PM

Make sure you actually have a file that you're uploading as an image. If you drag/drop an image from your gmail, it will insert a link to the file on gmail. It'll look fine to you because you're logged in to gmail, but nobody else will be able to see it.

To fix this, go and download the file to your desktop. Then go to the custom template, edit it, remove the broken image, and upload a fresh one from the file on your desktop. That'll store the image on our servers so everybody can see it.

Monica R
Jun 28, 2018 12:45 PM

Chris,
The image shows up here in the preview on the OR site, NOT in gmail. I was in gmail looking at the confirmation copy of the email and the graphic was broken. That's why I think gmail has nothing to do with it.

Chris Hynes
Jun 28, 2018 12:52 PM

Right, BUT it only happens to work in OwnerRez because you're logged into gmail and have permission to see that image. Log out of gmail or view it in an incognito tab and it will show broken. I pulled the URL for that image so you can see what I mean:

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=faffa9aa35&view=fimg&th=15f314e3f04bb5ac&attid=0.1&disp=emb&realattid=ii_15f314b73d6bb7ce&attbid=ANGjdJ9zwTWjzMfGvL-QZflta4Qx27LqBHaLSWpB-b_vDlZB9Ov6ABvHanrh8rrDKkZsCgNe596OyfU6lWLp_bVfkn59frOHRvxq_bcrs9Z8qlEQRqQc0C84svUkQLY&sz=w942-h482&ats=1521493321436&rm=15f314e3f04bb5ac&zw&atsh=1

That's the source of the image -- and it's linking to your gmail account.

If you follow the instructions I sent earlier to download the image file and then upload it to the email template, that will solve the issue.