Experience the difference of "Elite".

Trip insurance question / cleaning fee / sec dep

BlueMtnCabins
Oct 2, 2017 8:15 AM
Joined Jun, 2016 1115 posts

I do not use credit card hold as sec dep - instead I have a sec dep surcharge and I later refund ( i just feel safer having money in hand rather than a cc auth). But with that, when trip insurance is calculated, it is applied to the amount of sec dep as well.

Ideally I would think that trip insurance should not be applied to sec dep or the cleaning fee amount, as if guest does not show up, there is nothing to clean. I had a couple of cancellations with insurance on VRBO in the past, and how it works is you refund sec dep and cleaning fee, and the insurance takes care of the rest ( rent plus tax balance).
The reason I am asking is the amount due of trip insurance is overstated when sec dep and cleaning fee is figured in.

Chris Hynes
Oct 2, 2017 6:15 PM
OR Team Member Joined Oct, 2012 1400 posts

Yep, that makes sense. We've got plans to add a feature for refundable secdeps so they are treated like the auths and don't factor into the total. Once that's in place, the travel insurance would automatically take that into account.

Cleaning fees are a little more case by case, as some may not refund those on cancellations, or depending on timing, but at least it would be good to get the secdep factored out.

Ella
Feb 1, 2018 2:43 PM
Joined May, 2014 139 posts

Subscribing for updates

Melanie S
May 2, 2018 9:57 PM
Joined May, 2018 3 posts

Why would the renter have to pay tax if they didn't actually show up for the rental? You wouldn't be getting that money anyway as it would go to the state etc??

Melanie S
May 7, 2018 11:36 PM
Joined May, 2018 3 posts

Has this feature been added yet?

Chris Hynes
May 8, 2018 9:01 AM
OR Team Member Joined Oct, 2012 1400 posts

The refundable secdeps or the cleaning fees? The refundables aren't in yet, but I'm not sure what's being asked about the cleaning fees.

BlueMtnCabins
May 8, 2018 9:07 AM
Joined Jun, 2016 1115 posts

Chris Hynes said:

The refundable secdeps or the cleaning fees? The refundables aren't in yet, but I'm not sure what's being asked about the cleaning fees.

probably whether trip insurance has to be figured including cleaning fee amount. Most think that sec dep and clean fee should not be included when figuring trip insurance amount. While I can see cleaning fee going either way, sec dep should not be included in the amount to which trip insurance %age is applied.