Experience the difference of "Elite".

AirBnB lack of damage deposits

BlueMtnCabins
Jul 12, 2017 11:12 AM
Joined Jun, 2016 1115 posts

It is troubling to hear examples of AirBnB guests mistreating or even trashing the renal properties. Why - I think one of the reasons is they have no skin in the game (no deposit), and many have the entitled 'tudes. In many cases AirBnB makes owner to jump through hoops to prove damages and are less than helpful. I know it is against the Airbnb policy to request damage deposit outside of AirBnB, but my cabins are nearer and dearer to my heart than guest centric AirBNB policies. Anyone knows of any method to collect a deposit or place a security deposit hold on a cards for AirBNB rentals?

Ella
Jul 13, 2018 6:33 AM
Joined May, 2014 139 posts

I state in the listing description and in house rules that we collect security deposit separately after completed booking. Most guests don't have a problem submitting it. Currently I'm dealing with a person who is challenging this after I accepted them because of Airbnb rules. Unfortunately when someone does not trust me with a small security deposit, I cannot trust them in my house. We'll see if he submits it. I'm not sure what I will do if he sticks to not doing so.

Monica R
Jul 13, 2018 9:26 AM
Joined Feb, 2018 86 posts

Ella, that is a good way to articulate the desire for a security deposit. I may begin to ask for a deposit from Air guests as well using that same language. People who tend to be respectful, great guests typically DO understand a homeowner's wanting to hold a deposit and are willing to submit a security deposit. If a guest can't even grasp the risk homeowners take when allowing a total stranger stay in your home, then to me, that may be an indicator that they won't respect your property.

Monica

ShenRent
Jul 13, 2018 10:09 AM
Joined Dec, 2009 54 posts

Ella, please let us know how it turns out with Airbnb. I'm interested if they'll support you because you listed it in the House Rules or say that, as a site-wide policy, you can't do it because it's taking payments outside of their system. I've heard friends say that Airbnb has gone both ways in recent times. So please report back if you're successful with Airbnb.

Greg S
Jul 17, 2018 11:28 AM
Joined Mar, 2018 17 posts

If you collect the deposit through the resolution center, you're technically not taking a payment outside their system...so as long as its disclosed in the house rules that you'll be collecting a security deposit manually and you collect via the resolution center, I'd venture to guess you're still within Airbnb's terms.

ShenRent
Jul 17, 2018 11:32 AM
Joined Dec, 2009 54 posts

Yes, but then the guest has to "approve" the resolution request so.... good luck with that. 😉