Experience the difference of "Elite".

Occupancy reports and blocked off time

Marina's Edge Re
Apr 5, 2017 8:35 PM
Joined Oct, 2012 206 posts

I was using the occupancy reports (awesome, by the way) and it looks like they ignore "blocked off time". While I understand the reasoning behind this, I would like the option of including blocked off time as the ical calendar import for VRBO shows "blocked off time" even though it's a reservation. The reasoning for this is I have a 3rd party (evolve) running my bookings and their backend system syncs with VRBO to call it "blocked" even if somebody booked through VRBO (they are integrated into VRBO).

Thanks!

Marina's Edge Re
Apr 11, 2017 9:17 AM

Just following up to see if you have any advice?

Chris Hynes
Apr 11, 2017 10:31 AM
OR Team Member Joined Oct, 2012 1400 posts

Yep, we're working on a hotfix for this.

I was hoping it would be out over the weekend, but it looks like the next day or two.

Chris Hynes
Apr 11, 2017 1:21 PM

OK, the deploy just went out. If you look at the Booking Stats and Occupancy reports, there is now an option to include blocked-off time in the report.

Marina's Edge Re
Apr 12, 2017 1:37 AM

Awesome, works perfectly. Now for the icing on the cake (I know I ask a lot🙂). I want to compare my business year to year, so to have the reports have option to compare previous years occupancy for bookings created up to same date as current date would be awesome. Here's an example- I pull the occupancy report on April 11, 2017. If like previous year's occupancy for bookings created through April 11, 2016 (including any bookings for 2016 that might have been booked in 2015).

Right now I have a sense that my bookings are down from last year. This report allows me to know from the data if they are.

Chris Hynes
Apr 16, 2017 9:19 PM

You should be able to do that with the compare with previous option.

If you pick a period 1/1/2017 - 4/11/2017, and then do compare with year before, it will compare each month with the month of the year before. You could also go back up to 5 years if you want.

If you want to compare the overall totals vs. breaking out month by month, set Columns to Year so you get one column for each year.

Does that work how you're expecting?

EDIT: I just realized you wanted to filter by booked date and compare on that, not the actual current availability. Yes, that's something you can't do yet, but it's on the list.

Chris Hynes
Apr 16, 2017 9:52 PM

Thinking about this more, what's needed for the booked date is to add a selector for the period with two options:

"Use stay dates" vs "Use booked date"

Stay dates does what it does now. Booked date would filter on the date booked.

That would work for most of the stats on the occupancy report and booking stats report.

However, there are two stats that I'm not sure how to calculate: percent occupied and people per period night. When going by stay period, that's easy -- divide nights booked by total nights. But going by booked date there's really not a "total nights".

Any ideas on that? I suppose we could disable those two when going by booked date and you'd have to use total number of nights or total number of people as a proxy.

Marina's Edge Re
Apr 18, 2017 1:22 AM

This one's a bit tricky. What I'm trying to do is compare year over year occupancy AS OF a certain date (but I of course want all bookings for the year included).

I believe the total nights is still the total nights available for the dates booked. I still want to know what the occupancy rate is for all future months.

The x-axis is still the stay date, it's just that the filter is on "bookings through date".

Chris Hynes
Apr 18, 2017 11:08 AM

OK, so you want to pick 1 Jan 2017 to 31 Dec 2017 to filter stay dates. Then separately pick 15 April 2017 as the "booked as of" date.

So we'd grab all bookings staying from 1 Jan 2017 to 31 Dec 2017 where booked date <= 15 April 2017. You'd get an occupancy % for the whole year based on what was booked as of 15 April.

Then we'd go a year back and compare to all bookings staying from 1 Jan 2016 to 31 Dec 2016 where booked date <= 15 April 2016.

Any bookings staying in 2018 wouldn't be included at all, even if they were booked before 15 April 2017.

Marina's Edge Re
Apr 18, 2017 12:24 PM

That's correct. To simplify it you could even automatically pre-select bookings "as of booked date".

This allows me to at a glance do a year over year comparison of key metrics:

-Inquiries
-Bookings
-Occupancy
-Nights

Marina's Edge Re
Apr 19, 2017 12:26 AM

I just emailed you a sample excel spreadsheet to help conceptualize this. Let me know what you think