Experience the difference of "Elite".

Having the income and taxes appear in the month of the check out

Sara L
Jul 30, 2016 10:53 AM
Joined Jul, 2016 12 posts

I am brand new to OwnerRez, so this is probably simple. I want the income, taxes or fees to be shown in the month that the guest departs, not the month they book or pay? Is there an easy way to do this?

Michelle J
Jul 30, 2016 12:04 PM
OR Team Member Joined Jan, 2011 582 posts

Hi Chris,

Welcome!

That is, in fact, the default way taxes are treated in our system. We do that because we recommend that VR owners remit taxes for the month of the stay, not the month of the booking/payment. If a booking is canceled, it's hard to get tax money back once remitted.

When viewing taxes in the reports (Reports > Taxes or Line Item Summary) there are options to display the taxes for "dates of stay" or "booked dates" and dates of stay is selected by default.

-Michelle

Sara L
Jul 30, 2016 2:32 PM

Thank you so much, I see that. However, what I notice is that when I use "booked dates" the reports base the month on the beginning of the stay, not the end of the stay. If someone check in 7/28 and leaves 8/8 the income and taxes are shown in July, not August. The issue is, trust accounting wise, until the guest leaves, in this case in August, the money is not "earned" yet and from a tax perspective (here in the US Virgin Islands we have a monthly hotel tax) the tax is considered "collected" the month of check out, in this case August.

Is there a way to have the "dates of stay" or some other filter recognize the check out date instead of the check in date for the sake or reporting?

-- Chris

Chris Hynes
Jul 31, 2016 9:15 PM
OR Team Member Joined Oct, 2012 1400 posts

That's a good idea! I'll have a look-see and figure out if there is a way to add that option in addition to booked vs stay selection.

Chris Hynes
Aug 4, 2016 7:16 PM
OR Team Member Joined Oct, 2012 1400 posts

We just pushed up a hotfix that adds this support. You can now go into the reports section and choose "arrival" or "departure" instead of just "dates of stay".

Let me know if this solves the query for you.

Sara L
Aug 5, 2016 9:48 PM

Great response! Works well. Thanks so much.