Experience the difference of "Elite".

Credit Card for Security Deposit entered by guest

cp9293
May 29, 2013 1:54 PM
Joined Apr, 2012 395 posts

Hi,

Is there a way for the guest to enter their credit card information, if they paid via check in the original transaction?

Some people would pay the security deposit, via credit card. However, they would have to give me the information now, I believe. Or is there a way for them to enter the information without me getting involved? How can I send them the link to do so?

Thanks,
Claudia

Michelle J
May 30, 2013 7:36 AM
OR Team Member Joined Jan, 2011 582 posts

Hi Claudia,

Yes, there is a way to do that.

There is a hidden security deposit form that the system uses whenever someone's security deposit fails. You can use that. To find the hidden security deposit form, do these steps:

1) Open the booking
2) Click on the Legal tab
3) Click on "Email a link to guest" link
4) In the subject body, you'll see a link showing where the guest can sign the renter agreement. Copy that link into a new browser window or tab.
5) Change the end of the link from "legal" to "securitydeposit/add" and click enter to load it. I'm referring to the part after the last slash.
6) You'll notice that it shows a form where they can submit a security deposit
7) Send this link to the guest so they can use it to submit a credit card security deposit

Again, this is a hidden form that is only usually emailed to guest when their automatic security deposit fails and the system is asking them to try a different card.

Keep in mind that this will reserve a security deposit *immediately* when they submit the form, so they should only submit the form when their ready for the security deposit to be reserved.

You can also call them on the phone and reserve their security deposit manually. To process a manual security deposit, open the Booking, click the Security Deposits tab, click on Reserve and put in their card info.

Hope this helps,

-Michelle

cp9293
May 30, 2013 10:25 AM

Hi Michelle,

This doesn't seem to work for someone that paid via check. Only gives me the option for ME to enter the information. When I enter the information on the browser, this is what come up on the screen...

"No security deposit is required for this booking.

Some fresh ideas...
Are you sure you're looking at the right booking?

If you copied the URL from another location (such as an email message), make sure all the text survived the trip."

If I go into the booking to look at Security Deposit, it states No Security Deposit it Required. I suppose because it was paid via Check.

Which brings up the point of having a message come or something stating that a Security Deposit is coming due, even if it is via Check. Since the system automatically does it for credit cards, it should let us know that the Security Deposit is due, when it is via check.

Claudia

Michelle J
May 30, 2013 10:31 AM

I'm sorry - you're right. That form checks first to see if a security deposit was scheduled, which isn't really necessary for the form to function. We should yank out that check. If they have no credit card on file at all, you'll have to call for the security deposit. Sorry for the misinformation. I believe the payment form (which works similar to this) does allow credit card payments for previous-check payers.

cp9293
May 30, 2013 10:36 AM

Is there a way to have this function for anyone? I would rather have nothing to do with their private information.

Also, can there be an alert that the Security Deposit is coming due, when the original payment was not paid via Credit Card?

Claudia

Michelle J
May 30, 2013 10:57 AM

We plan on providing scheduled reminders for payments and security deposits where non-CC payers get reminders and/or can update their card info, switch to card (from check) and other things. At the moment, we're focusing quite a bit on the email and inquiry areas.

Let me see if we can just remove that scheduled check so that the form can be used by anyone (any booking without a reserved security deposit, that is). If it's easy, we'll try to squeeze it into one of the next few releases.

cp9293
May 30, 2013 11:00 AM

I don't understand this...

"Let me see if we can just remove that scheduled check"

What do I need to do?

** Nevermind. I read it wrong. I thought I had to do something. You will check if you can do something on your end. Thanks!

Michelle J
May 30, 2013 11:05 AM

Yes, I'm going to check with the devs to see if we can remove that check. If so, the fix may go out very quickly. :-)

cp9293
May 30, 2013 11:09 AM

Thanks! That would be great, if you can make it happen. It would help me a lot, for future Security Deposits. I would rather have a HOLD on their account than have to return a check. Also, not have to deal with having their private credit card information. :)

Sam Westcott
Jun 13, 2013 11:05 PM
OR Team Member Joined Dec, 2009 240 posts

FYI - that fix went out in tonight's release. Also, the security deposit and payment pages now show the URLs you can use for public forms. Just copy that URL and give it your guest for payment or security deposit. ~Sam

cp9293
Jun 14, 2013 1:58 PM

Excellent! Thank you!!!

Claudia