Experience the difference of "Elite".

New Email feature

cp9293
Jul 31, 2012 10:00 AM
Joined Apr, 2012 395 posts

Great job guys. While I don't use the outgoing mail much, at this moment, I can't' wait to see when I would be able to use it with customized emails! It will definitely make my life a lot easier. I would be able to respond to my inquiries in a snap, using your system. At this moment, I have to go into my email and do everything manually.

Claudia

Sam Westcott
Jul 31, 2012 10:08 AM
OR Team Member Joined Dec, 2009 240 posts

Thanks, Claudia! We had to refactor quite a few things relating to email so that we had a solid foundation to build on. I know you're looking for customizable templates, tags and auto-responders. All coming, don't worry. ~Sam

Michelle J
Jul 31, 2012 10:11 AM
OR Team Member Joined Jan, 2011 582 posts

Hi Claudia,

Even though you don't respond to inquiries, you will see all the notifications that go out on your behalf. For instance, the quote email or the various bookings ones (confirmation, payment received, etc).

Even in the first 30 minutes of being released, I'm already hearing from users about the benefits they're seeing, like when a bounce occurs on a guest's email address (you actually see it now!).

Having a good email system is a VERY important part of VR management. We've let it languish for too long.

-Michelle

cp9293
Jul 31, 2012 10:14 AM

I don't currently answer with the quote response. Only if I know it isn't going to book. I just go in and create the quote, but don't send the email through your system.

I am very anxious to see the things you mentioned. Is that the next implementation? Or there is something before that?

Claudia

Michelle J
Jul 31, 2012 10:18 AM

Except for minor one-offs, we're working on email-related features for the next several sprints. It will probably be a good 3-4 months before we switch to another big area because there's a lot of email-related stuff we need to do.

I can't promise exact dates for templates or mail merge but that's a huge part of this. Nearly everything you've asked for, as it relates to email, has been scheduled except for the embedded pictures part. That's still up in the air.

However, we also have to respond to things we see as we go along too. For instance, just this morning, after only a few minutes of being out, we've already noticed some things we need to tweak about the new email area. Columns that should/shouldn't be on the main grid. Filter options, etc.

cp9293
Jul 31, 2012 3:03 PM

Hi Michelle,

Are you saying that email will probably be completed within 3-4 months, or did I misunderstand that?

As for the pictures in the email, does that mean you are thinking of not putting that in? I think it is important to remind guests which property an owner is referring to. "A picture is worth a thousand words", and this is so true!

Claudia

Michelle J
Jul 31, 2012 4:11 PM

I'm talking about everything we have scheduled relating to email. It could actually take longer than that - we have a lot scheduled.

There will be numerous small releases as part of that. We aren't going to wait and release it all together. It will be released bit by bit, every few weeks.

I agree that pictures are important. You are certainly not the only one saying that. Many others have too. The only issue is figuring out the best way to do them. The best way of accommodating them is still being debated.

cp9293
Aug 1, 2012 8:09 AM

I sent out three emails through OwnerRez yesterday. While it says Opened from the ones that came to me as CC, their's still say SENT. Does this mean they still have not opened the emails? Isn't that strange that not one of the three opened their email?

Claudia

Michelle J
Aug 1, 2012 8:14 AM

We're going to put out a blog post about this - a lot of users have asked the same question.

In a nutshell, the "opened" flag does not represent 100% of the opens. In fact, it represents very few.

The way we can tell if someone has opened the message is by using a web beacon. A web beacon is a tiny 1x1 pixel image that is added to each email message. When the image is opened, a request is made to our servers allowing us to see that it happened.

The problem is that many (most?) email clients nowadays have images disabled by default. You may notice that little message above your message: "Do you want to enable images?" A lot of people never turn that on. If it's off, there's no way for us to tell if the message was opened.

cp9293
Aug 4, 2012 8:27 AM

I have to compliment this new feature! I just had a failed credit card mail. (Not the same as the one discussed yesterday). I entered the information of them, to be charged today. Everything went through. Today, I have FAILED. I went in here to see what the customer email looks like. I like it. I especially see what the email looks like. I would not have known, last week.

Thank you for the improvement!
Claudia

Michelle J
Aug 4, 2012 8:44 AM

Great, glad to hear it! We're doing a short mid-sprint update next week that will show sent AND received email with some more filter options.