Experience the difference of "Elite".

Sent email for quotes

DPVR.info
Apr 21, 2011 10:46 PM
Joined Apr, 2011 33 posts

I noticed that the reply email address for quotes is quotes At ownerreaervations dot com not the email address listed on the form when I send the quote. I responded to a test quote to see if you were routing the email, but I did not get a reply. Am I missing something or is this an error?

Michelle J
Apr 22, 2011 9:40 AM
OR Team Member Joined Jan, 2011 582 posts

Hi DPVR.info,

We use quotes@ownerreservations.com as the From Address on all sent quotes, but the ReplyTo Address is your address (the address of the owner sending the quote).

When your guest clicks their "Reply" button in their email client (Outlook, Gmail, etc) it will automatically use the ReplyTo Address and not quotes@ownerreservations.com

When you got the test quote, did you click the "Reply" button in your email client? If so, and it didn't use the right email address, can you tell me what email client you are using?

DPVR.info
Apr 22, 2011 9:46 AM

It does not appear to be working properly. I did a reply to the quote email and got and automated response stating it was an automated response and the owner did not receive the email. I am mobile right now so I can not copy the message. The client used was from my Android phone. I will do some further tests from other clients and report back.

*UPDATE*

It worked from my website based client. I also tried again from another phone and it worked. I'll see what I can do to recreate the issue I had.

David

Sam Westcott
Apr 22, 2011 10:09 AM
OR Team Member Joined Dec, 2009 240 posts

@Dave

Sam Westcott here - head of development. What you're referring to does happen from time to time, but that's completely the fault of the email client.

What we do, in using a standard From and a custom ReplyTo, is the recommended best practice for sending email from applications such as ours.

If we used the owner's email address as the From, our deliverability rate would decrease, which means that your quotes would end up in guest's Spam/Bulk folders more frequently.

This is because a lot of major email providers (Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, AOL) check the "SPF Record" for the sender to see if they have authorized the sending server for their domain. You can read more about SPF here: http://www.openspf.org/Introduction

Most web apps now follow this practice. For instance, you probably get inquiries from VRBO. Notice on your inquiry emails that the From is always set to inquiry@vrbo.com and the ReplyTo is set to the guest's email address. When you hit the reply button, your email program is supposed to ignore the From and use the ReplyTo.

Thx,

Sam

DPVR.info
Apr 23, 2011 11:17 AM

Thanks Sam - I'll report if I see it again. I am posting a feature request in another post.